Husky xp266

/ Husky xp266 #1  

Tarnold

Bronze Member
Tractor
Ls 3038h, ford 1900
Had this saw for a very long time. Always a bear to get started the first time. Compression makes it almost impossible for the old guy to get more than a click on each pull. Does not have a compression release. Plug out it spins very easy. How can I reduce some compression to get it to spin over to start?

/ Husky xp266 #2  
One of the best saws ever made. I used these extensively when I did forestry/arborist work back in the 80's. I don't remember them being hard to drop start, but have you tried starting it on the ground with your foot in the handle, to help hold it down and give you leverage?

Edit: I just learned the term drop start means something completely different. I merely meant holding the pull cord in one hand and the saw front handle in the other. Then simultaneously pulling the cord upward, while simultaneously lowering the saw with the other hand. Kind of like opposing forces. Analogous to racking the slide on a semi-auto pistol. One hand is pulling the slide back while the other is pushing the frame forward. It kind of compounds your efforts.

Last edited:
   / Husky xp266 #3  
My old Husky Rancher 51 was getting so would hardly turn over after sitting for awhile. I ended up pulling the side cover off the rope start side of the saw and cleaning all the years of built up saw dust chain oil goo, etc. that had accumulated in the starter pulley assembly and around the flywheel. This helped considerably on mine. Still occasionally locks up though. Newer 55 does the same thing but not as bad. Thought maybe was leaking a little gas oil mix into crank case but draining tank before storage didn’t make much difference.

/ Husky xp266
Even way back I’ve always had to have the saw on the ground holding with my foot. Compression has always been STRONG. My sthil 311 has the compression release and it makes it so much easier.

/ Husky xp266 #5  
Age got my dad in mid 80's and fight with cancer. I ended up with his saw he bought new and couldnt start.
I got him a small easy start one and he got a battery polesaw for his uses.
I have had several 266's.

You might try this. It bought my dad almost 2 years of still starting his old saw. Cost like 5-7 bucks. Stihl makes the lightest and very nice and rounded with no sharpe edges like others.

Stihl 460 recuse saw D handle. Part number in pic. I use to buy them by 5 paks.

I just did a guys 034 super that has same issue. He is in 70's

Did it for another older friend on his 390 too.

Both love it.

sdring.jpg
s034ssssss.jpg
s390xx.jpg

/ Husky xp266
Great…just ordered one. Add said Oregon but close enough. Ordered new 3.5mm pull cord also. Might as well change both at the same time.
Thanks for the idea.

/ Husky xp266 #7  
Great…just ordered one. Add said Oregon but close enough. Ordered new 3.5mm pull cord also. Might as well change both at the same time.
Thanks for the idea.
Aftermarket ones break. China has a copy of these and not near as good. Just so you know.

Never had the OEM stihl ones break to date. I ran them on race saws for cold start racing with alot of psi.

Just so you know if the one ordered isnt stihl and breaks on ya. Get the oem one.

s084d.jpg
CH3120.JPG