Husqvarna 455 rancher or 346 xp?

/ Husqvarna 455 rancher or 346 xp? #11  
No problem LD1 I picked up a few weeks ago and have only had the chance to run 1.5 tanks through it. The dealer said give it about 8-10 tanks of fuel to let the rings set in. Believe me I am a Husky and Stihl fan. I have a Solo top handle saw as well and have liked the Echo's I have run in the past. This Dolmar seems to run well. Easy starting. 20" bar on it. Power head is a little heavy when both tanks are topped off but that is because it has more volume for oil and gas than a equivalent Pro Stihl. I may have the chance to run it this weekend. I have three 100' fir tree's to section down for my neighbor.. I let my buddy use it and he is of the mind if it isn't Stihl it isn't any good.. After running it he may be a Dolmar convert...:thumbsup:

/ Husqvarna 455 rancher or 346 xp?
Haha no problem just keep the replies comming!

/ Husqvarna 455 rancher or 346 xp? #14  
Anyway...how do you like it? I always like to hear feedback from others about my favorite brand:D Not that others arent good, but there are a TON of reviews and feedback for stihl and husky, but not much with dolmar. It seems everytime I suggest one, guys are like "dolmar...I've never heard of them":confused2:

Sorry for the hijack.

I have 4 Dolmar/Makita saws, a 510 which is an excellent saw and very underrated by the way, a 5105, neat little hotrod, and 2 6401 Makita's. I bought the 6401's when they were yet very well priced along with a big bore kit for one of them. To make a long story short I have been so happy with the 6401 stock that the one 6401 and the big bore kit for it remain in the original boxes, never even opened other than inspection! I cut very little wood over 20 inches and the stock 6401 is more than capable in this size wood.

Now back to the OP: I was kind of a chain saw junkie for a while and own saws from about every maker as a result. I will state up front to the dismay of many that although I was a Stihl junkie for many years, now they are my least favorite brand. The 346 the OP asked about, and I do own one, is a delightful saw to run. Light and zippy, it just feels and sounds great but to be honest it is at it's best in about 12 inch wood. Keeping in mind of the OP's budget I would probably recommend an Echo 600P. There are plenty around that can be bought for about $450, do a muffler mod and get rid of the carb limiters so they can be properly tuned, and you have a very capable 60CC saw that starts easy and will run with the vaunted Stihl pro 360 class saws, I have one of them too, and keep $250 in your warchest to buy extra chains and some safety gear. I have a 600P equipped as mentioned so I know of what I speak.

/ Husqvarna 455 rancher or 346 xp? #15  
You guys do realize you can get 71cc husky just a little cheaper then the 64cc makita now dont you.

Makita Dolmar 6400
Displacement
64 cc (3.9 cu. in)
Power rating
3.5 kW (4.7 HP)
Net weight
6.4 kg (14.1 lbs)

Husky 365xt which is a detuned 372xt that is easily fixed.
Engine specification Cylinder displacement 70.7 cc
Idling speed 2700 rpm
Cylinder bore 1.97 inch
Cylinder stroke 1.42 inch
Weight (excl. cutting equipment) 14.1 lbs

/ Husqvarna 455 rancher or 346 xp?
Has anyone have any experience with jonsered 2156, 2166, 2159s? They seem like a good choice for someone like me that wants more ccs, without spending a ton of cash...

/ Husqvarna 455 rancher or 346 xp? #17  
You guys do realize you can get 71cc husky just a little cheaper then the 64cc makita now dont you.

Makita Dolmar 6400
Displacement
64 cc (3.9 cu. in)
Power rating
3.5 kW (4.7 HP)
Net weight
6.4 kg (14.1 lbs)

Husky 365xt which is a detuned 372xt that is easily fixed.
Engine specification Cylinder displacement 70.7 cc
Idling speed 2700 rpm
Cylinder bore 1.97 inch
Cylinder stroke 1.42 inch
Weight (excl. cutting equipment) 14.1 lbs

Yep, 365 is a good one too. I just didnt think they were that cheap.

For me, if cost was the same, it would be a tough decision between the 6400 an a 365. Cant really go wrong with either.

/ Husqvarna 455 rancher or 346 xp? #18  
Yep, 365 is a good one too. I just didnt think they were that cheap.

For me, if cost was the same, it would be a tough decision between the 6400 an a 365. Cant really go wrong with either.

The new 365xt 71cc I can get for $560 to my door with 18" add $20 for 20". Best bang for the buck going right now IMHO

/ Husqvarna 455 rancher or 346 xp? #19  
I recommend the Husqvarna, I have had a 455 for about 8 years now and the saw still runs great cut abot 30 to 40 cord a year, Bought a 390xp almost 2 years ago and could not be happier. Ran a 066 Stihl and you could not pay me to take one. I agree with everyone else go with the bigger saw, you will be happier.
I ran a Jonsered years ago and was not impressed, have been told with the turbos they cost more to repair and have a possibility of more problems.

/ Husqvarna 455 rancher or 346 xp? #20  
not to derail tthe topic on the other brand of saws, but i have 2 455 ranchers and a 350. i like all of them. i do around 100 cord firewood a year. 8" up to 20" (no bigger then 20") diameter. the 455 are good saws, but i would like to try a 460 or the 346xp as some times the 455's seem a bit doggy. the 350 has some zip though and i expected even better with the ranchers, but they are not quite up there. i get along good with them though and will buy more when the time comes. the price is right at my dealer. $389 out the door 20" bar. just as a note, i will opt for the 18" lighter 350 for limbing as was mentioned in the tighter areas.