Husqvarna 460 dies if throttle is opened

/ Husqvarna 460 dies if throttle is opened
I am meticulous about keeping my fuel containers and saw where water can't get to them. My neighbors can't seem to get this, and I am frequently dealing with their water-in-the-gas issues. At present, the back pressure hypothesis is looking pretty good.

Surprise, surprise, it's raining again. Okay, I'm headed out to pull the spark plug and check the color.

Be back soon.

Last edited:
What colour is the plug? I still don't like the sound of how its running. If the plug is black you probably aren't hurting anything running it, if its white then you need to figure why its getting lean up in the revs and fix it as lean = low lubrication and maybe a stuck piston after a while...

The plug is much closer to black than white. There was a ring of oil around the spark plug seal. Looks like plenty of lubrication.

Thanks to everyone who has offered help. You are numero uno, ichiban! :thumbsup:

/ Husqvarna 460 dies if throttle is opened #23  
I had a Jonsered that clogged the exhaust screen one time, otherwise it would never occur to me to check it. As I recall, it was set a bit too rich or was mixed too heavy on oil and was building carbon. I've never had the problem since, and that was quite a few saws ago.

I started out using it one morning, and it was working fine. By mid-afternoon, the revs were a bit limited, and by the end of the day it wouldn't move much past an idle. Still started and idled great, a carb tune-up achieved nothing nor did a plug change. I remembered I once owned a two-stroke dirt bike that had a restricted exhaust from carbon, and it acted the same.

Sean

The rain stopped and the sun actually came out. So, I went out and dropped a 16" 80' alder, limbed it, and bucked it into logs. No issues. Running strong and cutting fast.

Thanks again.

/ Husqvarna 460 dies if throttle is opened #25  
The rain stopped and the sun actually came out. So, I went out and dropped a 16" 80' alder, limbed it, and bucked it into logs. No issues. Running strong and cutting fast.

Thanks again.
Well that's good to hear, I could've lost my 372 very early in its career to a small hole in the fuel pump diaphram, but I stopped and checked the plug to see what's going on in there. It was going white so I shut'er down for the day and got it fixed.

Though I've been working on engines all my life, motorcycles, cars, mowers, etc., but it's all been 4 stroke stuff. The 2 stroke has been a mysterious thing for me. I've been given a lot of stuff to think about here for future issues. That 460 of mine is so new (my first ever new saw) so I didn't expect trouble. Most all of my saws have been old hand-me-downs or garage-sale, and very used when I got them. I've rebuilt some carbs, but that's about it. They just ran until they didn't, or else I got stuck for big bills from shops who effectively sold me back my own saws for more than I paid originally. Buying this saw was a big chunk of change on my budget. Then my neighbor bought the same saw at a different dealer with a longer bar for $100 less.

So, thanks again for being my teachers.