Buying Advice Husqvarna Comparisons

/ Husqvarna Comparisons #1  

VeRawr

Tractor
Still in buying process
There are a few different Husqvarna mowers that we are looking at but the best ones are not carried at Lowe's and so we wouldn't be able to purchase an extended protection plan. However, Husqvarnas are - as far as mowers go - quite sexy :p and they also have a really good track record. I'm pretty sure they are also made in the US. The Husqvarnas we are looking at are... Shop Husqvarna 26-HP V-Twin Dual Hydrostatic 54" Garden Tractor at Lowes.com , HUSQVARNA LGT24K54 - Garden tractors , HUSQVARNA YTH24V54XLS - Garden tractors

Of the Husqvarnas, two are garden and one is yard. Garden tractors are supposed to be heavier duty than yard tractors, despite the name which makes you think the opposite. The top of the line yard tractor is the YTH24V54XLS that has a Kawasaki engine, locking rear differential (which will be important when we're plowing snow with it) and a stamped deck rather than a fabricated one. The LGT24K54 is considered a garden tractor and also has a Kawasaki engine and a stamped deck, but does NOT have a locking rear differential, ... it has bigger tires which is supposed to mean the rear axle can support more weight while towing? which would mean if we wanted to tow something heavy we shouldn't do it with the YTH24V54XLS... so I think the XLS is amazing if you're just mowing while the LGT is a little more versatile. It's two and a half acres and we hope to expand and buy additional neighboring property, build a small barn and get a few farm animals, like 2 horses and 2 goats... my husband says he would like to be able to tow something ground engaging - that he wants the option to be available - although he doesn't know what he would do with it.

Our main use would be mowing, at least in these warm seasons (in Oklahoma). We'll also be buying a plow attachment and using it to clear out our driveway when it snows.

When would we need to use something ground engaging? Our "grass" is mostly weeds and so we will eventually be wanting to use some form of "weed/feed" that kills weeds but grows grass, but I don't think we would need to till, etc in order to do that... right?

The very maximum we can spend right now is $3000 and would prefer to spend less than that, but would like the tractor to last a reasonable length of time, like 5+ years.

I apologize for the formatting, I've copied/pasted from my personal facebook.
I may cross-post this thread to a different forum if I do not get responses here, because I did not see any Husqvarna-specific forums.

/ Husqvarna Comparisons #2  
I just went through this whole ordeal... I finally decided on the Cub Cadet GTX 1054. Even though none of the literature states it, it has a serviceable rear transaxle (Hydro Gear G730). This was a selling point for me. While it does not have a locking diff, it does well so far. Much better than my old MTD, I have noticed it does not spin in areas my old MTD would get stuck in which could be due to the size of the rear tires.

I saw both negative and positive reviews, probably more negative, but I usually find more negative online than positive for anything I buy. Most people are more willing to gripe than praise.

I looked into the Husqvarna tractors, but was not overly keen on them for some reason. My neighbor has the locking rear one you mention and loves it. Unless you are ready to step into a true GT your choices are all about color and determining what features you can get for your money.

Chris