Husqvarna Dealer Policy

/ Husqvarna Dealer Policy #11  
I understand the value of the dealer and have changed my buying habits over the years for some items, however I don't think it is bad to have "walmart" versions also.

Some consumers don't need the "better" version.

I agree- that is how I ended up with my Craftsman 18" chainsaw. I know it's limitations, not the best quality- but I got it at $50.00 from the store with full warranty (it was a 'store use" model).

I rarely need a chainsaw, and have only used this one twice in 2 years. Worth the price to have one around that can handle "around the home" type cutting. Any bigger projects require planning and I have access through my brother (an Arborist) to many tools and equipment that are designed for the job.

/ Husqvarna Dealer Policy #12  
I agree- that is how I ended up with my Craftsman 18" chainsaw. I know it's limitations, not the best quality- but I got it at $50.00 from the store with full warranty (it was a 'store use" model).

I rarely need a chainsaw, and have only used this one twice in 2 years. Worth the price to have one around that can handle "around the home" type cutting. Any bigger projects require planning and I have access through my brother (an Arborist) to many tools and equipment that are designed for the job.

I bought a craftsman chainsaw 10 years ago. Now that I have some acreage, I needed a bigger one. I ended up buying a Stihl (sp?). Wow, what a difference. That is one nice saw. Much lighter and the engine... wow!

I appreciate the nicer stuff... but not everyone needs it. There is a market for the box stores. I still buy from them when I don't need something better and/or more expensive. More expensive doesn't always equate to better either.

/ Husqvarna Dealer Policy #13  
Funny you mention that.

My HD stopped selling any Husqvarna saws and oil :(

Luckily there is a Husqvarna dealer I just found :)

/ Husqvarna Dealer Policy #14  
Funny you mention that.

My HD stopped selling any Husqvarna saws and oil :(

Luckily there is a Husqvarna dealer I just found :)

I don't know if I ever paid attention to the saws, but I do see the riding mowers. Or is that Lowes? I lose track any more...

/ Husqvarna Dealer Policy #15  
Why is it so bothersome that some manufacturers sell to businesses that are not "dealers"? Sounds like a good way to reach more customers.

Actually, this is one reason why I prefer and use Stihl to Husqvarna. By not having to worry about being pressured into offering Walmart quality equipment to fill their biggest customer's order, they are able to keep quality consistent. I'm sorry but a company is going to be hard pressed to sell their "non box store" models at realistic prices when many people will say that they can buy the same brand saw at one of the box stores for much less money. Eventually the quality of the whole lineup suffers. This has happened to a certain extent with Husqvarna. My Stihl dealer used to carry Husky as well. He said that a couple of years ago he started having many more Husky saws come in for warranty repair work and Husky didn't always want to take care of the tab. That's why he dumped Husqvarna and now only deals in Stihl.

By the way, I do agree that not everyone needs professional quality tools. I also agree that a box store chainsaw will likely suffice for 90% of the people who buy saws. So I say go ahead and let them buy a Poulan or Homelite at Walmart if they don't need a quality saw. Don't produce a Poulan quality saw with the Husqvarna name on it to appeal to people that only want to pay walmart prices. Eventually the lower quality permeates your brand and your brand reputation suffers because of it.

/ Husqvarna Dealer Policy
This is what prompted my original idle question.
I'm a (very) happy owner of a Husqvarna, bought from a dealer. I'm not in the market for another saw - hency my happiness with the one I have.

I recalled that Husqvarna made a huge deal out of getting out of the big-box and internet sales game a few years back. Much like Kubota did at about the same time.
It was in the name of protecting both their name and the dealers territories. You couldn't sell the saws if you didn't have walk-in service, or something like that.

If I recall correctly, they were using their Poulan brand to fill the Internet and big-box market.

So, it interested my when I recently saw they seemed to at the least be dipping their toes in those waters again. And, I was just wondering if anyone had any inside knowledge on the subject.

/ Husqvarna Dealer Policy #17  
I don't know if I ever paid attention to the saws, but I do see the riding mowers. Or is that Lowes? I lose track any more...

They had lawn mowers push and riding.
No more saws, oils, etc though.

They never sold PRO saws anyway, but thought it was interesting.
Oh-Well, my local Husqvarna dealer was cheaper anyway on Oil and Bar & Chain oil.

/ Husqvarna Dealer Policy #18  
Husqvarna is rolling the marketing dice and hoping for a good outcome IMO.

If they can sell enough "consumer saws" through the box stores to generate revenue, they can afford to have a few dissatisfied customers that get fed up with poor service when they try to get their saw fixed at WalMart, Canadian Tire, etc.

The trick is the price point.. if you're paying the same price for a Husky as Poulan or Sears (examples only, not bashing) you're going to expect the same level of reliability and customer service. You're not getting a smokin' deal on a far superior saw, believe me. You're getting a comparable product at the same price.

Most of the Husky saws I've seen at the box stores are priced at the top of the price scale for the various lines they sell. If they can't provide better performance and equal or better customer service, there's going to be problems. Otherwise, customers are saying, "Why did I pay more for this thing, it's no better than Brand X..."

The high-end saws (semi-pro and pro models) are likely the domain of the dedicated Husqvarna dealer, or should be in my opinion. For that kind of money, I don't want to have to debate warranty or performance issues with a high-school kid that works 15 hours a week at Canadian Tire, and has no clue what he's doing with my $1000 chainsaw.

Stihl has made a point, a very public point in fact, of not going this route. They're charging a slight premium for their comparable saws over Husky these days from what I've seen, and make a selling point of offering "professional, dedicated support from an authorized dealer" to all their customers.

The bottom line will determine who's made the right choice, but it will take some time to get to that point. I personally think Stihl is doing the right thing, but that's just my opinion.

Sean

/ Husqvarna Dealer Policy #19  
Last year I had a professional tree service cut a few trees for me - his business cuts over 14,000 MILES of power line for a local power company! I asked. I noticed they were using Husquavarna saws, and asked him about that too. He said they had gotten better reliability out of them than Stihl. This surprised me, I always thought Stihl was the best. Not from experience, just seemed to be. I surely don't know. But, in 1977, I bought a 10" Homelite chain saw from a Howard's (I think it was - no longer in existence) for about $78. The thing still goes!! I have put a 14" bar, biggest it takes, I think, on it, and man, the wood I have cut with that thing is unbelievable!! Big pines, red/white/black/ oaks, firewood galore, etc. It is still going. I am the only person who has ever used it, mixing gas/oil properly, so that has something to do with it. Whew, got my money's worth from that one for sure.

Needing a new saw though. Leaning toward local dealer's Husq, or Stihl...

Oh, and about three years ago, I was in Stihl shop with friend, and Stihl guy said I could use Stihl's 50/1 oil in me old Homelite, even though it called for 16/1 ratio. I tried it, and no problems! Changed after all these years to 50/1 using Stihl's oil! I though the thing would blow to smithereens! But, no, she just keeps on tickin'...

Last edited:
   / Husqvarna Dealer Policy #20  
Generally speaking, the fuel/oil mix is determined by the quality of oil used. The newer 2-stroke oils are infinitely better than the SAE 30 non-detergent oil a lot of manufacturers used to call for.

I use 50:1 oil mixed at 40:1. I may be old school in that I just don't feel comfy at 50:1, but that's just me.

Sean