HVAC System 20 Years Old, Time to Proactively Replace??

/ HVAC System 20 Years Old, Time to Proactively Replace??
Thanks all for the input very much appreciated.

I keep thinking since I am away 2 months during winter, I would hate for the heat exchanger to go and I am 2500 miles away and trying to get it fixed/replaced from a distance. I replaced my 10 year old no problem water heater with the same idea.

/ HVAC System 20 Years Old, Time to Proactively Replace?? #12  
If you decide to replace; look into the Variable Refrigerant Flow Heat Pumps. They are even more efficient than the new straight heat pumps. Zoning is easy just by adding indoor units where needed with its zone thermostat. Indoor units can either be exposed cabinets or concealed units with duct work. Each indoor unit has its own variable speed fan. They are very quite. No auxiliary heat is required till ambient gets down to 0 deg F. With multiple indoor units you can cool or heat zones at the same time. I hear first cost is competitive with a central ducted heat pumps. There are all kinds of options and control scenarios available.

Ron

/ HVAC System 20 Years Old, Time to Proactively Replace?? #13  
Heat exchangers don't fail catastrophically. Just keep an eye on things and or pay for regular inspections.
With regards to the second story- look into the "mini splits". It's basically a small heat pump so you get heat and AC. They are very efficient and you won't need any duct work.
It sounds like you aren't there in the winter. If that's the case you have other options for backup heat so you don't have to worry about a heater failure leading to other issues in the home-especially while you are away.

/ HVAC System 20 Years Old, Time to Proactively Replace?? #14  
If you decide to replace; look into the Variable Refrigerant Flow Heat Pumps.
There are all kinds of options and control scenarios available.

Ron

Is there a website anywhere that gives sensible pricing on what one should be expected pay for this stuff?

I do not mind buying,, but, the "local guys" typically quote 3X what I read about installations on TBN costing,,,

/ HVAC System 20 Years Old, Time to Proactively Replace?? #15  
I have not researched costs. I will be doing so next month as I plan for a new house. Always cheaper in new construction than as a retrofit. DIY will probably only be possible with package units are the remote unites that have pre-charged refrigerant lines. An EPA license is required to purchase the refrigerant. Code compliance my restrict you to using licensed contractors, that is if you get a permit. Local jurisdictions are all over on such things. In our area HVAC contractors figure labor at over $100/Hr. Refrigeration was one of my trades and I have the EPA license, but my experience is now dated and I would not touch the modern stuff.

Ron

Since I have natural gas I do not plan on going with a heat pump.

The furnace mfg is Heil, with auto ignition no pilot light. The fan is a sealed unit with nowhere to oil, no belts direct drive, all this per the service guy.

So how long do furnaces last, what I read 20 years is the typical life hence my concern for replacing it.

/ HVAC System 20 Years Old, Time to Proactively Replace?? #17  
Run the numbers on operating costs, you may find gas is costing you a lot more if you install the latest high efficiency units. If you go gas forced air look at the condensing burner types (98% effeciency).

Ron

Yes I will run the numbers for sure. It is not only the gas but also the electric to run the blower, service guy indicates it is drawing 6 amps. Looks like a lot of the high efficiency units use variable speed DC motors. The service rep said he has the fewest callbacks on Trane equipment. But from what I hear it is more the installer than the equipment mfg. that makes for a good system.

/ HVAC System 20 Years Old, Time to Proactively Replace?? #19  
Not necessarily required to replace furnace. Expect higher maintence costs on newer equipment.
You can not set the thermostat lower than 60 on the newer equipment.
I probably would spend money on an alarm system that monitors temp and for water leaks before a new furnace.
I would probably just keep it.
Install process vary widely due to locality, don't cut corners with a cheap install.

/ HVAC System 20 Years Old, Time to Proactively Replace?? #20  
Expect higher maintence costs on newer equipment.

I would probably just keep it.

^ I agreed with the whole post, but specifically wanted to second these points.

My neighbour is an HVAC contractor that's been in the game 30 years. We have regular conversations about how many corners are being cut in today's products - for the most part, reliability has taken a far backseat to selling replacement parts/ new units. This situation mirrors what is going on with "white" appliances - you'll find people with 30+ year old washer/dryer sets running fine, but most of the new stuff barely makes it 5 years.

Assuming the tech you just had in knows what he's doing, I'd sleep fine re. the heat exchanger.

Lots of heat exchangers crack because neither the installer nor the building inspector knew what they were doing/gave a rodents backside. (Cold air returns seriously undersized, prematurely stressing the heat exchanger). If the one in-place has a clean bill of health, I'd keep it running.

I understand belt+suspenders concerns though; I'd second spending some of that money on remote temperature monitoring.

Rgds, D.