Hyd fluid and filter

/ Hyd fluid and filter
I go every other year,I do about the same hours on my 336d as you scotty,no reason to dump good oil..

/ Hyd fluid and filter #12  
I wish we could get at the hyd filter w/o dumping all that oil. I see the simplicity in the setup as is but I kind of like looking at/changing filters occasionally checking for little metal particles. Especially when I probably wont change mine for 200 hours (if even then) there is nothing to damage hyd oil, maybe h20 but mine stays inside. my .002 Granted the PS works the oil harder but still dont see any issues with longer intervals.

/ Hyd fluid and filter #13  
I wish we could get at the hyd filter w/o dumping all that oil.

Just to clarify for new comers..you are talking about the INTERNAL screen with this comment , correct?

The External Spin on filter can be changed without draining, no?

/ Hyd fluid and filter #14  
Just to clarify for new comers..you are talking about the INTERNAL screen with this comment , correct?

Smoody, I agreee with your questions, and will also add the screens can be cleaned on the 1510 , 186 and 187 models without draining the fluid because the screen is in it's own little compartment up high in the transmission with a suction tube going down below.

/ Hyd fluid and filter #15  

Yes Smoody an external filter a person sure could take it off w/o draining all the fluid wish I had one that would sure be handy. :thumbsup: fwtw I know 2620 has an external spin on for another to add to the list.

Mine has the screen installed behind a cover at the low point in the trans/differential housing and I would need to drain it all. With that said doesn't mean a person couldn't dump it and check the screen and just pour it back in. It would just mean finding a clean something or other to catch it time will tell how that turns out. :)

/ Hyd fluid and filter
the 336 has an external spin on and the fluid has to be drained to clean the screen although I have backed up a hill and hardly spilled a drop to clean the screen on an occassion or two.....!!!!!

/ Hyd fluid and filter #17  
YM226 has a spin on filter and screen...to clean internal screen on the 226 you have to drain fluid.

Grainger, neat idea backing up a hill..by backing up I guess that would be rear tires on elevated side or would it matter? I had some metal flake on my screen when I changed fluid 10 hours ago..would be nice to check screen without a drain.

And I don't think any of the grey market yanmar have external spin on filter for hydraulics..at least none that I have owned and that includes a 1700, 2000, 2210.

/ Hyd fluid and filter #18  
YM226 has a spin on filter and screen...to clean internal screen on the 226 you have to drain fluid.

Grainger, neat idea backing up a hill..by backing up I guess that would be rear tires on elevated side or would it matter? I had some metal flake on my screen when I changed fluid 10 hours ago..would be nice to check screen without a drain.

And I don't think any of the grey market yanmar have external spin on filter for hydraulics..at least none that I have owned and that includes a 1700, 2000, 2210.

Oh yes, my 2002d has a spin on hydraulic and I believe all the xx02, xx20, and f series have spin ons. Not sure what else.

/ Hyd fluid and filter #19  
Yup, my 2020 has both the screen and the spin on hydraulic filter

I do like the idea of leaning the tractor sideways and see if I can pull the screen with out losing all of the fluid.

Last edited:
   / Hyd fluid and filter #20  
My F18D also has a spin on filter.