Hydraulic Box blade

/ Hydraulic Box blade #1  

flINTLOCK

Platinum Member
Tractor
NH TC40DA 2002
I am going to buy a 6 foot box blade to aid in plowing very rocky soil for foodplots for deer. Tiller and moldboard plows won't work. I'm considering hydraulic scarifiers which I've read can be helpful to actually pull up larger rocks that are encountered. I'm probably only going to dig 6" at most since our topsoil layer is very thin. Digging deeper when possible only brings up more rocks. Any suggestions for most reasonably priced "quality" unit. I don't mind spending for quality up to a point. I should add that I'm working with NH TC40 DA HST with FEL and 2 rear remotes.

/ Hydraulic Box blade #2  
I recommend this manufacture of hydraulic Box Blades. Home Page

/ Hydraulic Box blade #3  
Cammond looks good on paper (never seen one in the flesh so to speak)

I have a woods manual scar bar model. They make the same model with hydraulic and it is excellent. Look in the woodsonline.com site in the CONSTRUCTION area under box scrapers.

You may also just want to get a scarifier bar and drag that around.

There was a person on this site that mated a scarifier bar to a PTO driven rototiller to protect the tiller from rocks. The thread had pictures. Worth a search.

jb

/ Hydraulic Box blade #4  
Cammond has two separate designs of hydraulic box blades. The Standard duty BSH series and the Industrial 2C and 4C series. If the BSH series scrapers are lowered when the box is in use the linkage from the scrapers to the box will bend. The box must be raised off of the ground before the scrapers can be adjusted lower. Apparently the 2C and 4C models don't have this handicap.

/ Hydraulic Box blade #5  
john_bud said:
There was a person on this site that mated a scarifier bar to a PTO driven rototiller to protect the tiller from rocks. The thread had pictures. Worth a search.
jb
It was MChalkley. If those you that haven't ever read his threads on modifying his Kubota, you would be in for a real treat if you like to modify things. Some of his threads didn't make one of the TBN change overs, but some of them did.

/ Hydraulic Box blade #6  
I am in the market for a good box scraper, as well as many other things, with hydraulic scarifiers as well. I am looking for something heavy duty, about 84" wide, and possibly a cat II hitch. I'm not trying to hijack the thread but add some information. In my research the three main manufacturers that have such an item are Cammond, Woods, and Gearmore. I would probably favor Woods. But I didn't think they offered hydraulically controlled scarifiers. Do they have hydraulic scarifiers in such a box scraper?

/ Hydraulic Box blade #7  
IMHO, companies that make a hydraulic scarifer, usually make a very good box blade. I have a hydraulic Gannon and manual rollover Gannon scarifer box blade and both are great. The manual rollover is about 80" and weighs just over 1000 lbs and is Cat I-II. The hydraulic is a 60" and weighs about 450 lbs.
I believe Woods now owns Gannon but still uses the Gannon name on the heavier duty/hydraulic units.

/ Hydraulic Box blade #8  
radman1 said:
IMHO, companies that make a hydraulic scarifer, usually make a very good box blade. I have a hydraulic Gannon and manual rollover Gannon scarifer box blade and both are great. The manual rollover is about 80" and weighs just over 1000 lbs and is Cat I-II. The hydraulic is a 60" and weighs about 450 lbs.
I believe Woods now owns Gannon but still uses the Gannon name on the heavier duty/hydraulic units.

I would have to agree with radman, pretty much any company that makes a box blade with hydraulic scarifiers is most likely to be very good quality. Gannon is owned by Woods and does still use the Gannon name. I would say that there is no better quality available, (that I know of). Very common to see on industrial tractors. I too have a Gannon 81" rollover scraper, although mine is cat II only, very pleased with it.:)

/ Hydraulic Box blade
Are hydraulic scarifiers raised and lowered vertically or are they mounted on a bar that rotates them into place?

/ Hydraulic Box blade #10  
flINTLOCK said:
Are hydraulic scarifiers raised and lowered vertically or are they mounted on a bar that rotates them into place?

I think that they pivot on a bar that rotates down. But I am not sure, it has been a while since I have looked at one. Radman1 can answer for sure.

It very well might be different between companies also.