Hydraulic Chainsaw

/ Hydraulic Chainsaw
I looked in Grainger and the smallest motor was a 2.8 cu inch/rev motor. The max rpm is 962. The max pressure is 2400 psi. Do I get the higher rpm's with my sprockets? Do I need the higher rpm's to saw efficiently?

/ Hydraulic Chainsaw #12  
I looked in Grainger and the smallest motor was a 2.8 cu inch/rev motor. The max rpm is 962. The max pressure is 2400 psi. Do I get the higher rpm's with my sprockets? Do I need the higher rpm's to saw efficiently?

I would suspect that you will require higher RPM's for the saw to work effectively. I believe companies like Bosch - RexRoth, Parker, Eaton, Sauer Danfoss may make higher RPM style motors that will operate at much higher RPM. The more gears you install the more losses you create. I have seen hydraulic chain saws on TV where they are used to cut logs to length to load on trucks. From memory I believe they where direct drive from the Hydraulic motor to the saw. Not sure what size and RPM these operate at though. Piston style motors are the most efficient but require keeping the oil clean. They will also require a case drain directly back to tank so three lines will need to be run from the motor.

Roy

/ Hydraulic Chainsaw #13  
The factory specs on saws used by power companies,etc. made by Fairmont are as follows:

model 6200-B 16"

4-8 GPM
1000 to 2000 PSI

Chain Speed @ 4 GPM = 1814 FPM
6 GPM = 2671 FPM
8 GPM = 3527 FPM

I think the drive sprocket is a 7 tooth, but haven't looked at one lately?

RPM for motor is not stated.

/ Hydraulic Chainsaw #14  
Update on Fairmont saw specs.

I was looking at my excel calc sheet for this and see I had worked out the specs.

This saw uses .375 .050 chain and has an 8 tooth driver.
Without going thru the formula, the answers are as follows:

Chain speed @ 6 GPM is 2641 FPM and motor RPM would be ~5300
Chain speed @ 8 GPM is 3527 FPM and motor RPM would be ~7050

As an example, if using .404 chain, FPM for 6 GPM on this saw motor would increase to 2855 FPM and @ 8 GPM it becomes 3798 FPM with an 8 tooth drive sprocket.
It is how many inches of chain moved per revolution determined by RPM, pitch and tooth count.

Hope this helps in choosing a motor to make a saw?

/ Hydraulic Chainsaw #17  
our power company came by tree trimming and had a hydraulic chain saw, and it speed was a lot slower than a gas unit, but the person running the saw said the chain stayed sharp a lot longer,

one may be able to fine a larger drive sprocket to up the chain speed over the standard gas sprocket.

/ Hydraulic Chainsaw #19  
I have not had any personal experience with the hydraulic chain saws. I did see a program on TV that was about some of the current logging equipment.

They showed the hydro-chain saw and explained that one of the reasons they are so effective is that unlike a "hand-held" saw, these have specially designed teeth. It has something to do with the hand-held saws have a cutting tooth followed by a "clearing tooth". That makes them only cut with every-other tooth.

The hydro saws, since they are being held by a machine, have a "combo-tooth" and cut with every tooth. They explained that if the hand held saw used such a chain, a man could not hold it to use it since it is too aggressive.

/ Hydraulic Chainsaw #20  
Harvester saw chain and handheld saw chain look exactly the same. There is no type of clearing tooth on a chainsaw chain at all, in any size. Harvester chain has the depth guage ground down because the motors have the power to pull it. Harvester chain is built heavier to be more durable.

Mr. HE:cool: