Hydraulic Dump trailer: 16 foot or 20 foot??

/ Hydraulic Dump trailer: 16 foot or 20 foot??
Yep, total empty weight plus payload varies with length, etc.

I found this site that gives a good table for their 16', 18', and 20' dual tandem dump trailer.

I do note that their actuator is only 10 tons... not the 18 that you recommend. There are a couple of trailers that I have found that have 20 ton lift capacity (at least that is what they say).

So, I think that if I go with a dump trailer I'm now biased toward the following:

removable sides
18+ ton rated cylinder dump capacity
two cylinders (for both capacity and stability when dumping)
spread dump gate as well as barn doors
12k axles for total 24K capacity (not 10K ea. which is more common)
still fretting over 16' / 20' length. Price/availability may be the determiner.

Good advice, all... thanks!

/ Hydraulic Dump trailer: 16 foot or 20 foot?? #12  
Two cylinder wouldn't be bad, mine is a scissor type lift built by Colt with only one big cylinder, it's slow but it will dump anything you put in it...so far:)

One other thing make sure to actuate any dump you are interested in to see how close the back of the bed come to the ground, if it is real close and you have the rubber mounted tail lights..dirt/gravel can push the tail lights out of their mounts when the stuff starts piling up against them. So make sure the rear has plenty of ground clearance.

On my trailer I have plenty of cord so I can get in the truck and dump, I also made up a QD plug so the cord & switch doesn't stay with the trailer. It's just a metal 4 pin trailer plug and the wire is a extension cord cut to lenth.

Good ideas, wushaw, it's the details that make the difference when using something... so, added to my list is:

long, detachable cord and switch for dumping from tow vehicle (I can make).
rear clearance check for possible material problem with lights/reflectors/etc.

/ Hydraulic Dump trailer: 16 foot or 20 foot?? #14  
texasjohn said:
12k axles for total 24K capacity (not 10K ea. which is more common)

You had best start fixing to save for your CDL. That trailer will have "Weigh Me" written on the back with neon lights. Not that a CDL is that hard to get, but I wouldn't want to go 5' from the driveway with a 24k trailer and no CDL. It's expen$ive to be caught.

/ Hydraulic Dump trailer: 16 foot or 20 foot?? #15  
john_bud said:
You had best start fixing to save for your CDL. That trailer will have "Weigh Me" written on the back with neon lights. Not that a CDL is that hard to get, but I wouldn't want to go 5' from the driveway with a 24k trailer and no CDL. It's expen$ive to be caught.

Not if he farm tags it and they will probably rate it for 32K.

/ Hydraulic Dump trailer: 16 foot or 20 foot?? #16  
Really? TX has that exemption in the state law? Another reason why you don't mess with Texas!

jb

um... yep... I checked with the lady who hands out licences for pickups and trailers, etc. for the county. She said that with farm tags on pickup (I have them) it was within Class A (regular DL) as long as total weight was 36K lbs or less.... and each vehicle had to be within its limits... and not for hire activity.

So, figuring a pickup = 10K
trailer at just under 26K = 36K lbs theoritical max total before a CDL kicks in.

/ Hydraulic Dump trailer: 16 foot or 20 foot?? #18  
John what's even funnier is when your down at the tag office and a rancher shows up to tag his new truck to him with farm tags and it's a class 6 international to pull his cattle trailer and whatever else he wants and as long as he doesn't use it for hire and only for the ranch stuff it's all legal.

You described my situation, exactly. :)
I just wanna pull some stuff around on my ranch... and occasionally get out on the road... very carefully!

Now, Y'ALL, here's a challenge for the TBN community.

Craig's list has this listing where there are TWO 20 TON TANDEM AXLE 26 CU YD HYDRAULIC DUMP TRAILERS.

Sounds like just what I need.

Only problem is... no phone number and no email address, only street address. So I can't even determine what the price is that they are looking for.:confused:

Anybody know how to figure this out... hint, I tried one reverse address lookup and found that phone number 214-388-8048 is not a working number.

However, I have no reason to believe that that number belongs to the current resident at the address who has the trailers for sale.

Ignore previous post re locating Craig's list phone number....I now have it...Thanks to Bird!:D