Hydraulic dump trailer finished

/ Hydraulic dump trailer finished
Hi Mike how have you been? The main reason I built this trailer is to haul the grandkids around during Halloween trick or treat, I was using the 6-1/2' X 12' trailer but with so many kids around our neighborhood I was worried about hitting someone, the hyd dump is mainly just to mess with the grandkids. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif
When are we getting together for another lunch?
Scott

/ Hydraulic dump trailer finished #12  
Nice trailer. I also like the saddlebag hanging off your fender. What do you keep in it?
Jim

Jim, I keep a 10" cresent wrench, pliers, a couple of screwdrivers, and some extra pins in the bag. I just wanted to have a few tools and extra pins on hand and it works ok for that. It is a motorcycle handlebar tool bag that was just laying around.

/ Hydraulic dump trailer finished #14  
Scott why not drop down to the meetings forum and set something up. My schedule is pretty flexible most of the time and I'm sure others will jump in for lunch as well.

/ Hydraulic dump trailer finished #15  
Scott
What weight was that trailer base rated for and how much weight do you think you added with the side walls and hydraulics?

Thanks

/ Hydraulic dump trailer finished #16  
Scott,

The dump design is very clever. I have been gathering up scrap parts to build a dump trailer. Once I saw your post I have re-thought and will most likely incorporate your unique idea. The advantage I see is the elimination of "dual beds" or two frames one for the main trailer axle, and the other frame for the dump bed. I like those side panels, they look real sharp - could we get a little more detail of what material you used and a few close up's of them and the hinged area underneath?

Excellent job and idea - Thank for sharing this.

Larry G (former Buckeye) Chagrin Falls area 60's-& 70's

Ron the trailer has a 2000# axle but the GVWR is only 1500#, that maybe because with the flat frame it was not very strong. I added about 130# to the base trailer that listed as 250# for shipping weight. The trailer is street legal, I was thinking of towing it with the truck to get top soil and then hooking it up to the tractor to spread it were I need it.
Scott

Larry, I didn't want to add the weight of the second frame, so I added a second angle behind the crossmember that the single tongue was attached to, forming a tee, then I added two extra pivot arms to A frame the tongue for more support. The pivots are just short pieces of 2"X2"X1/8" angle on each side of the extra arms, which is what the original frame was and all the extra pieces I added. The side panels are 15/32" plywood with a primer and a good coat of tractor enamel. I will attach a picture of the inside and show the tailgate which is pivoted top and bottom so it will work like a dump truck tailgate.
Scott

Attachments

• 853820-Trailer 16.jpg
    853820-Trailer 16.jpg
    23.9 KB · Views: 484
Larry, this picture shows the extra reinforements I added for the tongue, and the start of the extra arms.

Attachments

• 853824-Trailer 5.jpg
    853824-Trailer 5.jpg
    17.9 KB · Views: 452
This is the best picture I have of the finished tongue. If I raise the 3 point after the cylinder is extended I can lift the front of the trailer even more which brings the trailer tires off the ground (easy for wheel brg service?) and to get the last of the load off. I also boxed in the back angle crossmember for more support.

Attachments

• 853826-Trailer 19.jpg
    853826-Trailer 19.jpg
    31.4 KB · Views: 514