Hydraulic Dump Trailer

/ Hydraulic Dump Trailer #11  
Chris:
I retired last year and enjoy being outside. (last 43 years sitting behind a desk) While I worked, I did hire someone to do it for lack of time and it is not cheap. My leaf load is about 3000 lbs per year. I need to stay active for as long as I can. After you retire, you have more time to spend money and less money to spend. I love outdoor power equipment and get a lot of joy doing my yard. You sound just like my son. He fusses about what I do and I pay him "no attention". Thanks for the thoughts. You will get there sooner than you think.

Leo

Hey, glad you are still active. Just wanted to put a different twist on this.

I think converting the trailer is a bigger deal than you think. I have done it and when all is said and done its twice the work and money. Just things like the fenders placement can be a major issue. Have you thought about selling your current trailer and getting a new one better suited? Price it out.

Chris

/ Hydraulic Dump Trailer
Hey, glad you are still active. Just wanted to put a different twist on this.

I think converting the trailer is a bigger deal than you think. I have done it and when all is said and done its twice the work and money. Just things like the fenders placement can be a major issue. Have you thought about selling your current trailer and getting a new one better suited? Price it out.

Chris

Chris: Free labor + free steel + some $ for hydraulics = Small Costs. (I swap out some work with my cousin). Sell my utility trailer for small amount and invest in a new or used=(impossible to find around here) ready made dump trailer= $$$$$ (out of pocket). Can't find a small dump trailer (around here) but they are expensive. I don't want or need the popular 5 X 10 models with dual axles (it will not serve my other needs for a small utility trailer for most of the year). I have no room to store 2 trailers. Based on my cost (as listed above) to convert my utility trailer, I can't go wrong on that route, (I Think???). All I have to do is purchase the hydraulics and I will get my son to do the math (he is a Licensed Civil Engineer) for the placement of the cylinder and some other calculations on the trailer. What you are suggesting makes perfect sense (as I said, you are an intelligent guy) but the other factors listed above makes it better for me to do the conversion, a small Dump Utility Trailer when I need it and a Small Utility Trailer for other needs around the house (all on one set of wheels) for limited dollars out of pocket.
Thanks for your suggestions.
Leo

/ Hydraulic Dump Trailer #13  
:confused2:
Texas42:
That is a possibility and I will look into that. I don't get things done as fast either and I don't care.
Thanks for your suggestion.
Leo
Lay a long tarp on the floor of the trailer and up the back and long enough to cover the leaves for transport. When you unload, you pull the tarp end (that covered the load) and roll the leaves out. Attach the covering part of the tarp to a tree then drive away. You need a tarp 20' long, 8' for the deck then 4' up the back and another 8' to cover the load. The top cover part is what you pull on to roll out the load. Someone may have used this method and can explain it as I obviously lack that skill.:confused2:
Dennis

/ Hydraulic Dump Trailer
:confused2:
Lay a long tarp on the floor of the trailer and up the back and long enough to cover the leaves for transport. When you unload, you pull the tarp end (that covered the load) and roll the leaves out. Attach the covering part of the tarp to a tree then drive away. You need a tarp 20' long, 8' for the deck then 4' up the back and another 8' to cover the load. The top cover part is what you pull on to roll out the load. Someone may have used this method and can explain it as I obviously lack that skill.:confused2:
Dennis
Thanks Dennis:
I have to take the leaves to a local landfill (you dump) and nothing to hook the tarp to. I am afraid 6 to 7 yards of compacted leaves (approximately 1,000 lbs may be more than I can handle by pulling on the tarp. I have used that method before (on a much smaller scale) and it works well with a light load.
Thanks
Leo

/ Hydraulic Dump Trailer #15  
Thanks Dennis:
I have to take the leaves to a local landfill (you dump) and nothing to hook the tarp to. I am afraid 6 to 7 yards of compacted leaves (approximately 1,000 lbs may be more than I can handle by pulling on the tarp. I have used that method before (on a much smaller scale) and it works well with a light load.
Thanks
Leo
Take more smaller trips or have wife/buddy with vehicle to anchor to!

/ Hydraulic Dump Trailer #16  
Chris: Free labor + free steel + some $ for hydraulics = Small Costs. (I swap out some work with my cousin). Sell my utility trailer for small amount and invest in a new or used=(impossible to find around here) ready made dump trailer= $$$$$ (out of pocket). Can't find a small dump trailer (around here) but they are expensive. I don't want or need the popular 5 X 10 models with dual axles (it will not serve my other needs for a small utility trailer for most of the year). I have no room to store 2 trailers. Based on my cost (as listed above) to convert my utility trailer, I can't go wrong on that route, (I Think???). All I have to do is purchase the hydraulics and I will get my son to do the math (he is a Licensed Civil Engineer) for the placement of the cylinder and some other calculations on the trailer. What you are suggesting makes perfect sense (as I said, you are an intelligent guy) but the other factors listed above makes it better for me to do the conversion, a small Dump Utility Trailer when I need it and a Small Utility Trailer for other needs around the house (all on one set of wheels) for limited dollars out of pocket.
Thanks for your suggestions.
Leo

I agree if you can get so much for free. How are you going to get a good deal on the axle, springs, wheels, tires, ect.

Chris

/ Hydraulic Dump Trailer #17  
Put your leaf pile beside the road, with a sign:

Leaves for composting or mulch
$5 bushel

Someone will steal them.

:)

Bruce

/ Hydraulic Dump Trailer
I agree if you can get so much for free. How are you going to get a good deal on the axle, springs, wheels, tires, ect.

Chris

I am converting my current utility trailer and will use the items I already have. I will have to buy the hydraulics. It will be done in September (just in time for the leaves). My cousin is getting his planting done (he is a farmer also) now and after the crop season is done, we will make the conversion.

Leo
Leo

/ Hydraulic Dump Trailer
Put your leaf pile beside the road, with a sign:

Leaves for composting or mulch
$5 bushel

Someone will steal them.
:)

Bruce
Best idea so far and the sad part is it is the "truth".

Leo