Hydraulic Ever Clutch characteristics

/ Hydraulic Ever Clutch characteristics #1  

geneP

Platinum Member
Tractor
Case-International 385, Kubota L5450 w/LA1150A loader
I've been using the forward/reverse lever a good bit mowing an area with lots of trees. The engagement of the clutch has me wondering if it is working normally. Having never been around one before, I'd like to know how yours operates.

My valve under the floorboard is set on the center position. When the clutch begins to engage the tractor starts moving a little then I feel it as it locks up tight. I'm just wondering if I should feel the firm engagement. It is not neck snapping because the tractor is already moving, but I can feel it. Is this normal, or is the clutch begging to fail (heaven forbid).

Thanks for sharing your experience.

/ Hydraulic Ever Clutch characteristics #2  
.........My valve under the floorboard is set on the center position. When the clutch begins to engage the tractor starts moving a little then I feel it as it locks up tight. I'm just wondering if I should feel the firm engagement. It is not neck snapping because the tractor is already moving, but I can feel it. Is this normal, or is the clutch begging to fail (heaven forbid)..........

Sounds pretty normal. Engagement on the 2 L5450's I've had is similar - light initial motion followed by quickly increasing torque - like letting up the pedal on a mechanical clutch when not feathering it. Direct, but not with a bang. The earlier L4150's hydraulic shuttle engaged harder. It was considered normal, but Kub redesigned for softer shifts on the later machines.

Have you tried the slowest-shift valve setting?

For a good description of the Ever Clutch see this thread.
The symptoms of a failing EC are rough chattering engagement or constant drag from heat-warped disks. Both are rare.

Last edited:
   / Hydraulic Ever Clutch characteristics
Thanks Dick, as usual you have provided more information than I asked for. I have not tried the #1 setting on the control valve. I don't think I want it to engage any slower. It seems as if slower engagement would create more slippage and shorter clutch disc life. I have no chattering or hard to engage gears, so maybe everything is normal.

The thread you gave didn't have an ending. I hope he got his clutch working normally.

I hope your newly found freedom is agreeing with you.

Gene

/ Hydraulic Ever Clutch characteristics #4  
....... It seems as if slower engagement would create more slippage and shorter clutch disc life......The thread you gave didn't have an ending. I hope he got his clutch working normally........I hope your newly found freedom is agreeing with you. .

Gene, I believe that even the slowest shifts would still be quick enough to control heat and wear. The EC is very robust. Clinter36 (the poster of the EC thread) said in a subsequent post that new parts were in-hand for reassembly. His new subject was loader lift height so the EC must have been resolved. And yes, the absence of a desk job puts a nicer frame on my day - thanks for the thought.
Take care, Dick B

I'm going to mow a little today. I think I'll switch it to the softer position and see how it works.

I'm glad your fuel issue was only an absence of fuel issue :)

I tried the EverClutch on the soft engagement position today. It still has the firm engagement spot but takes longer to get there. I switched it back to middle position. We learn by trying things, but I'm hesitant to try it on the cold weather position.