Hydraulic Fluid Mystery

/ Hydraulic Fluid Mystery #1  

jtbuck

Tractor
Massey Ferguson 245
After cleaning the Hydraulic oil strainer and putting oil back in that was drained, a few gallons. Before I did this the oil was actually over the fill mark, now it doesn't even show on the stick????
This is on a JD 110TLB. Any ideas why oil level dropped so much?

/ Hydraulic Fluid Mystery #2  
Mystery to me.

/ Hydraulic Fluid Mystery #3  
After cleaning the Hydraulic oil strainer and putting oil back in that was drained, a few gallons. Before I did this the oil was actually over the fill mark, now it doesn't even show on the stick????
This is on a JD 110TLB. Any ideas why oil level dropped so much?
Hot or cold engine?

/ Hydraulic Fluid Mystery #5  
Did you raise the FEL or the 3 point hitch after the oil was put back in?

/ Hydraulic Fluid Mystery #7  
and putting oil back in that was drained, a few gallons.
My first question is why would you put used oil back in? As for the oil on dipstick my NH can do that at times. I can check one day and it appears low and another day be full. But when I officially check and service my tractors they get topped off with engines running and 3pt lowered. Being construction equipment not sure what your procedure is. That is the procedure for 70 and 80's JD row crop tractors and I apply it to all my tractors.

Last edited:
   / Hydraulic Fluid Mystery #8  
Pull the dipstick and read it.If the reading seems off, replace and REREAD. the 2nd reading is generally more acccurate. Some dipstick have what seems to be an oil repellant on them and need TWO pulls to get oil on the dipstick to read.
Certain older japanese industrial engines (80,s - early 90's) were nortorious for this. Pull the dipstick and NOTHING!!! on the dipstick! Take a 2nd reading and the dipstick reads full. Never did find out why.

/ Hydraulic Fluid Mystery
My first question is why would you put used oil back in? As for the oil on dipstick my NH can do that at times. I can check one day and it appears low and another day be full. But when I officially check and service my tractors they get topped off with engines running and 3pt lowered. Being construction equipment not sure what your procedure is. That is the procedure for 70 and 80's JD row crop tractors and I apply it to all my tractors.
We had just changed but forgot the mesh strainer