hydraulic fluid smell normal?

/ hydraulic fluid smell normal? #11  
Not wide open throttle but if you are working it, more than idle. At least this is what my dealer said. Since this is the only HST I've used, I trust his judgement (but then again, he is out of business....) šŸ˜µ

So my rated PTO is 2580 RPM's, he said if you are just moving it from here to there, 1500 rpm's are fine but you want to be above 2000 if you are doing any work. It heats up the oil and can not cool it off enough. Can Anyone confirm or refute that???

To the OP, you are fine, since I think your rated pto is 2200 rpm...
No scientific data to back any of it up....but I have never had an issue running 1500rpm with a hst.

But I'm also not working it hard and lugging. That's doing easy work like shuttling mulch around, pulling a 2-row corn planter or 2-row cultivator that the tractor don't even know it's there.

1500rpm is just a lot quieter than winding it up.

As to cooling.....don't know. My MX has a pretty darn small cooler. And it's in front of the radiator so not really a direct air flow either. All the added rpms do is give a little more airflow. But it also increases the hydraulic flow proportionally. So heating it up faster.

My logic is......it would be like saying rev your engine up faster if it starts overheating ....just don't really make sense.

Sure, running around at idle isn't doing it any favors. But 1500 rpm I won't hurt a thing