hydraulic fluid

/ hydraulic fluid #1  

CaptJCHill

Tractor
Kubota M5700
Can l remove the 2 hydraulic filters on my M5700 for replacement without draining all the hydraulic fluid? How much will I loose by removing the filters? My used (new to me) tractor has 450 hrs.The service interval is 300 hrs on the filters and 600 hrs on the fluid.It looks to have the original factory installed filters (grey) so what I want to do is change filters,top off the fluid and go another150 hrs and the change both filter and fluid to be on factory maintenance schedule. Also is UD the only oil that will work?
Thanks in advance,
John

/ hydraulic fluid #2  
You can but be fast and you shoulnt lose over a couple gallons.

/ hydraulic fluid #3  
We lose about a quart of fluid when my son swaps filters on our L5030, but I'm not sure about that model.

/ hydraulic fluid #4  
With most hydralic systems, you can apply vacuum to fill spout, use an air powered brake bleeder, A/C vacuum pump, or shop vac. Change one filter at a time. This prevents
fluid from draining when filter is removed. You will only loose what was in the filter.

/ hydraulic fluid
Thanks for the tip.have a old vacuum pump that just might work!
John

/ hydraulic fluid #6  
If the oil has never been changed and has 450hrs on it I would want it out of mine as soon as possible. It should have been drained at 50hrs. To me the 50hr service is the most important one the tractor will ever get. The oil is very nasty and full of fine metal at the 50hr mark and needs to be drained. If it's a 4wd the oil in the frontend will make you sick when you see it hit the pan.

I'm not going to start a oil war but all Kubota's are factory filled with SUDT. About every brand of oil on the market says it meets kubota specs but not all oils act the same especially in colder climates. The trans/hyd oil has such a long service life I don't see any advantage by going cheap but that's just my opinion.

/ hydraulic fluid #7  
How old is the fluid in years? If it were me, I would change oil and fluid now. You will be good for another 600 hours! You have to do it in 150 hours anyway. This way you will be on an even 300 filter 600 fluid schedule. Philip.

/ hydraulic fluid #9  
Is there any problem using synthetic GL-4 in the front gearbox (4WD)?

What does your manual say? Mine says UDT, SUDT, or SAE 80w90 gear oil. Synthetic GL-4 in 80w90 would fit that criteria. Philip.

/ hydraulic fluid #10  
My L3240 HST has a little rubber hose on the hydraulic fill cap. I take a clothes pin or paper binder clip and pinch that hose off. Without a vent, the only fluid I loose is in the filter, plus a little mess. I can change both filters and loose less than a gallon.