Hydraulic fluid

/ Hydraulic fluid #41  
This tractor is not hydrostatic drive. The basic design features (using the transmission oil to also be the hydraulic reservoir, etc.) are decades old and been around long before most of the currently available fluids. The transmission/chassis fluid is multi-use and covering a multitude of sins and very handy that it can serve as a pretty large sump for hydraulic purposes. Lubrication (and in very old oil, impurities) do of course matter. I have yet to hear how to test for, or know, that one is dealing with "depleted" oil or what exactly depleted oil is. Hours on the tractor give at least a reference point better than nothing I guess. Hopefully 5030 will enlighten us.

This causes me to wonder -- were the old Fords and Fergusons EVER recommended for replacing their entire sump load of oil ?
my bad for the hydro static part I saw it wasn't hydro but still was under the impression that it was for some reason ... I enjoy this conversation/ argument but I am realizing you are more right than I am in this case .... but also believe if it is stated in the owner manual it is for a reason, Id like to think this reason is more then making profits ....

From this article the only way to know is through analysis its good reading...

I guess they just don't built them how they uses to??

/ Hydraulic fluid #42  
Well stated comment on cheap oils. TSC traveller caused shearing issues when hot. Loss of hydraulic pressure was final result. Replaced using Ambria NH brand issues went away. Since then NH discontinued ambria oil. Now using case IH hydraulic oil no issues. Good hydraulic oils have heat stabilization and prevent shearing in pump. They also fight off hydoscopic issues on drawing moisture (water) when tractor sits in change of season. Don’t let a budget interfere with purchasing good hydraulic oil, it will save you time and money in the long run using quality oil. Oils are not equal in performance.
CE302E9F-BE52-497B-9F5F-78CD128E3B54.jpeg
Amazon.com

/ Hydraulic fluid #43  
This tractor is not hydrostatic drive. The basic design features (using the transmission oil to also be the hydraulic reservoir, etc.) are decades old and been around long before most of the currently available fluids. The transmission/chassis fluid is multi-use and covering a multitude of sins and very handy that it can serve as a pretty large sump for hydraulic purposes. Lubrication (and in very old oil, impurities) do of course matter. I have yet to hear how to test for, or know, that one is dealing with "depleted" oil or what exactly depleted oil is. Hours on the tractor give at least a reference point better than nothing I guess. Hopefully 5030 will enlighten us.

This causes me to wonder -- were the old Fords and Fergusons EVER recommended for replacing their entire sump load of oil ?
Yes, but have you ever gone into a tractor shop and asked for an oil with a spec 10-20 years out of date? No, they only carry their latest line of products. You can do the research into non OEM fluids, but it really worth the time, or you could end up in the mess like 303 oils.
Half the lubrication properties of current fluids can be from the additive package. The additives get consumed with use (depleted). The oil may look perfectly fine, but important wear inhibitors may go missing. The only way to track it is used oil analysis. Or, just follow the manufacturers service schedule.
Side note, worked at a factory with machines using 100's of gallons of hydraulic fluid. Changing to to semi-synthetics 20 years ago reduced the change out frequency, but only after following a UOA program. They found that changing the fluid too early could result in an additive buildup in the system causing issues. By monitoring the oil life, they were able to get the maximum use out of the fluid, which was longer than the manufacturer's maintenance intervals. IMO any machine used for commercial work should be on a UOA program, the benefits far outweigh the costs.
I like watching youtube farm videos, but am amazed at how much time is taken changing fluids "just in case".

/ Hydraulic fluid #44  
I've seen a photo of a brass plate 'Drain and replace motor oil daily', on a huge tractor from around 1920.

(But I don't think they had hydraulic systems that early).

/ Hydraulic fluid #45  
I do and will use the manufacturer oil and hydraulic fluid as long as I am under warranty. The cost difference is not so great that it would be worth arguing a warranty claim.

/ Hydraulic fluid #47  
I do and will use the manufacturer oil and hydraulic fluid as long as I am under warranty. The cost difference is not so great that it would be worth arguing a warranty claim.
The OP and myself have the same brand/model and year MF2660HD. 2011. The warrantee is just a memory in the rear view mirror. But I understand what you are saying.

/ Hydraulic fluid #50  
Good grief! The scam artists are tiring of making telemarketing calls and gone off into selling oil...well maybe it is oil. Or air or ....maybe you will never know because nothing would be delivered !!