hydraulic hammer fit

/ hydraulic hammer fit #1  

trinux

Tractor
mustang 2050
I need to use a hydraulic hammer on a skid steer loade, but hammer specs ask for 2000 psi and 10 gpm, and skid steer delivers 3000 psi and 18 gpm, How can I reduce flow and pressure in order not to damage the hammer?

/ hydraulic hammer fit #2  
3000 psi relief is fine. The hammer will operate at 2000 psi. for 10 gpm, run the engine at 3/4 throttle

/ hydraulic hammer fit #3  
Trinux,

:welcome: to TBN....

Do you know if a relief valve is built-in?....if so you're OK

If not, I'd call the mfg and/or dealer that you purchased it from and ask if you can install a direct acting relief valve in line on the pressure line going to the hammer.....then put a tee on the return line coming out of the hammer and connect the exhaust port on the relief valve the tee on the return line with a hose .......

This add-on does not have to be on the end of your hammer but under/inside out of the way is best.......or wherever is convenient.....

Hope this helps........:)

/ hydraulic hammer fit #4  
Sorry, didn't catch where you need to limit pressure AND FLOW......:ashamed:

Here's what you need.....or something like it......Surplus Center - RDRS-175-30 HYD FLOW CONTROL VALVE

You can mess around with different sizes of these but make sure you get one with relief valve (some do not!).....

After installation tune it to specs so no harm done.......

/ hydraulic hammer fit #5  
I am curious what SSL has only 2000 PSI and 10 GPM?

/ hydraulic hammer fit #6  
The hammer has 2000 psi, and 10 GPM.

SS has 3000 psi and 18 GPM.

/ hydraulic hammer fit #7  
3000 psi relief is fine. The hammer will operate at 2000 psi. for 10 gpm, run the engine at 3/4 throttle

Are you sure you would run the hammer at 1000psi over specs? That will heat up a lot of fluid.

/ hydraulic hammer fit #8  
J_J said:
Are you sure you would run the hammer at 1000psi over specs? That will heat up a lot of fluid.

When running at 10 gpm, the hammer will develop 2000 psi. If you set your relief at 2000 psi, it will open slightly every time the hammer hits. That will cause a loss of flow when needed most. Most hammer makers want the relief set at least 500 psi above operating pressure. 3000 will be fine, that's to protect your pump, valve and hoses in case the hammer jams, or the valve is actuated when the hammer is disconnected.

My best advice is to have a flow-rater hooked up. Warm up the oil. See what engine speed is needed to produce 10 gpm @ 2000psi. Run the machine at that speed when hammering.