Hydraulic il Dissolver

/ Hydraulic il Dissolver #1  

TimP

Platinum Member
Tractor
B3000HSDCC
Hi All.

What do you all suggest that I can spray from a can Hydraulic Oil Dissolver?

I have a cylinder that was leaking hydraulic oil and it got around in many spots on my asphalt.

Looking for something in a spray can to make it easier to "Spot Clean".

Thanks !

/ Hydraulic il Dissolver #2  
Might try GUNK engine degreaser, I use it for various grease, oil removals, then back it up with simple green... Also use spray can el cheapo Carb Cleaner from, FLAPS......

Dale

Last edited:
   / Hydraulic il Dissolver #3  
Might try GUNK engine degreaser, I use it for various grease, oil removals, then back it up with simple green... Also use spray can el cheapo Carb Cleaner from, FLAPS...... Daler

/ Hydraulic il Dissolver #4  
Dawn dish soap is probably the best option. I wouldn’t count on it not being stained forever.

/ Hydraulic il Dissolver #5  
Get carb cleaner and a roll of paper towels. Spray and blot. You will get a lot of it up. You can then try Dawn or a pressure washer or all of the above. Last ditch effort might be a little muriatic acid, but be careful with that stuff. Like posted above. I wouldn't count on it looking pristine when you are through.

(Edit) Sorry, just saw that you are on asphalt. Scratch what I said. You will soften asphalt with any of this. I for some reason thought you were on concrete.

Last edited:
   / Hydraulic il Dissolver #6  
Last year I was pressure washing my concrete brick walkway. When I finished I left the pressure washer sitting on the brick for a day or 2. When I moved it I found that the pump leaked oil onto to the porous brick. I tried repressure washing again and it just drove the oil deeper. Simple green, nope. Brake cleaner, nope. I have tried numerous so called cleaners in the past and most did not do much.

I then bought this product on Amazon. Amazon.com: Chomp Pull It Out Oil/Stain Remover for Concrete, Grease, Remover for Garage Floors & Driveways: Home & Kitchen

I applied one coating and left it overnight. The next day I washed off with just a hose and the stain was 100% gone. I cannot recommend it highly enough. Give it a try.

/ Hydraulic il Dissolver #7  
I've used clay based kitty litter before with fairly good results. The trick is to attend to the stains as soon as they appear. The longer you wait, the harder it is to get them out. Spread out some kitty litter and grind it into to concrete surface with your boots. That allows it to get into the pores of the concrete and absorb the oil. get a bag of the cheapest you can find. You don't need the fancy kitty litter unless you want it to smell good too. :)

Edit: Ooops, you're dealing with asphalt, not concrete. Never mind......

/ Hydraulic il Dissolver #8  
I have no idea if this works on asphalt but the following will make concrete pristine:

Blot up the liquid.

Scrub in solvent. Paint thinner is best, diesel is adequate. Long ago I worked as shop-boy in a transmission shop that used gasoline!

Cover with a layer of rice-hull ash, the best oil absorber you can buy. Kitty litter might substitute but it can't be this good.

Sweep up the absorbent the next day. Repeat process if needed.

/ Hydraulic il Dissolver #9  
Earlier I tried to reply with this advice, but all that posted was a comment I quoted:

If you're using anything other than kitty litter or a mid detergent, try a small spot somewhere to see if it affects the blacktop. Many solvents and cleaners can attack the tar part of the blacktop and dissolve it to some extent.

Even my favorite purple cleaner does a little. I've used it full strength to clean some parts and it made some black juice run when the rinse water hit it.

/ Hydraulic il Dissolver
Thanks for all the replies.

I appreciate the input.

I am currently trying "LESTOIL" grease remover.

Supposedly safe for asphalt and I know from experience, it's good at dissolving/removing grease stains.