Hydraulic Jack Fix ?

/ Hydraulic Jack Fix ? #1  

ajmaxham

Bronze Member
Tractor
Cub Cadet 582
Harbor Freight Tools -- Central Hydraulics Bottle Jack

Hydraulic oil leaks at the release valve.

IMG_2853.JPG

groves in release valve sealing surface.

IMG_2858.JPG

Release valve seal.

IMG_2861.JPG

I put a piece of heat shrink tubing over the release valve sealing surface. Will this work to repair the jack.

IMG_2863.JPG

/ Hydraulic Jack Fix ? #3  
It might help. Looks like the valve seat is leaking by. Put the jack under a load and see if it holds it. If not the seat is bad.

/ Hydraulic Jack Fix ? #4  
I don't think the valve seals on the od it seals at the bottom of the hole. there should be some kind of chamfer on the bottom of the release valve.

/ Hydraulic Jack Fix ? #5  
I put a piece of heat shrink tubing over the release valve sealing surface. Will this work to repair the jack.

View attachment 461069

Shrink tube will follow the form and there will still be a slot. Maybe a smaller slot. I'd fill that groove with epoxy and then file it round again. Maybe shrink tubing over the epoxy.

If you store the jack tipped over with the screw-valve pointed up, does the other seal hold oil?

Last edited:
   / Hydraulic Jack Fix ?
So far it is working. The heat shrink tubing also adds to the OD of the release valve to make a better fit in the release valve seal. I have 3 jack with the same problem. Fixed all 3 with shrink tubing. If the fix does not hold up I will need to find a source for new release valve seals and fill the groove with epoxy as you suggest.

/ Hydraulic Jack Fix ? #7  
Why not just put a couple of O-rings in that groove. You will just need to got the diameter of the oring (not OD) the right size to make a tight seal

/ Hydraulic Jack Fix ? #8  
I have one like that. It was a 90's Sears Professional. It leaked all the time in storage. After fiddlin' with it for some time, I finally got it to stop, but forgot what I did. Now, I carry it in my truck, but it sits in a steel coffee can.....just in case.

/ Hydraulic Jack Fix ? #9  
I had one leaking some and I just took some Teflon tape and taped the screw up good and put it back in and never had any more real problems,