Hydraulic Leak Help.

/ Hydraulic Leak Help. #1  

catvet

Gold Member
Tractor
Kubota L-39
Had a hose blow out on my Wood's backhoe yesterday. the bucket curler hose. Bummed me out big time as I was working on a big stump and was almost there. Then got the tractor stuck getting out of the area because I was positioned such that I needed to go over the area I was working on. More bummed.

Anyway. I decided the thing to do was to take the hose off and try to get a replacement. Having no knowledge what I was doing it took me about two hours to get it off and lost a lot of hydraulic fluid in the process. Fortunately I had gotten the backhoe off the tractor so the fluid was just from the backhoe.

My big question is, assuming that I can get a replacement. And get it threaded through all the various places this one was, do I need to somehow bleed the air out of the system?

Any help appreciated.

Jerry

/ Hydraulic Leak Help. #2  
catvet said:
My big question is, assuming that I can get a replacement. And get it threaded through all the various places this one was, do I need to somehow bleed the air out of the system?

The double acting cylinder will self bleed after you cycle it a few times.

However, make sure you purchase at least a 2-wire hose that will be rated at 4000 psi or greater. No telling what was on there originally, probably a 1-wire hose.

/ Hydraulic Leak Help. #3  
I agree it should bleed out itself. I just replaced a hose on my loader. Obviously you have to add more hydraulic fluid. A lot of places can make that hose. I know JD dealerships can as well as other tractor dealerships. My hose was a pain because I have a grey market tractor with a grey loader and the fittings are metric. I ended up having to take it to a specialty equipment shop.

/ Hydraulic Leak Help.
Thanks for the quick replies. There are a number of places around the area which I think can do the hose. If not I'll make the 1 hour trek to the dealer.

/ Hydraulic Leak Help. #5  
Wear glasses. and gloves and long sleeve shirt, pants and protective shoes. Hydro fluid under pressure is bad when it hits the body.
Bob

/ Hydraulic Leak Help. #6  
catvet said:
Thanks for the quick replies. There are a number of places around the area which I think can do the hose. If not I'll make the 1 hour trek to the dealer.

If you are in no hurry you can always go to www.discounthydraulichose.com and order one. Order on monday and you should have it by friday.

/ Hydraulic Leak Help. #7  
The more you use your hoe the more hoses you will go through. I quickly found a close shop for emergency hoses and use Discount Hydraulic Hose for the rest. Keep some extra hydraulic oil on standby too.