Hydraulic leak

/ Hydraulic leak #1  

cotemart

Hi there. Have a few questions for you, any answers would be much appreciated.

On my Ford 3000 '72, I have the weakness and hiccup problem on the 3-pts hitch. It got to the point where it needs help raising a 600 lbs logging winch (no trees attached) I have to say that we abused it a fairly long time with the winch wich may have been a bit over limit when hauling trees.

Anyway, took the lift cover apart last weekend and did not find anything specially worn in it, apart a small flat on the piston o-ring, wich I'll change with the one I got in a cover o-ring kit. Will see to hone it too.

For now, I assume that, according to the oil flow diagrams and the fact that it does not stay up in neutral, that I have a leak somwhere between the Check-Valve, control-valve (where it unloads), safety valve, and cylinder.

For the safety valve, I'll try to get it checked in a shop if it is possible by itself.

For the cylinder, should I keep the leather backing seal or put the plastic one provided in the kit? Not shure but I may have a neoprene one too in the kit. Will change the O-Ring anyway.

For the checkvalve, can't say if it is wrong seems normal. Should I try to reseat the ball?

For the control valve. If I push it in "Neutral" or "Raise" position and put compress air in the appropriate conduit, I can see air bubbles pass thru where it is suppose to unload the cylinder. It get worse in "Raise"position than "Neutral" I am not familiar with "metal on metal" oil seals, it may be normal that air pass thrue when there is just a little film of oil, but I'd like to know if it is a sign of wear and if I should replace it. I did try it with oil in it, nothing passed but I was way far from the nominal 2500PSI.

So that's it for the "Cylinder side" of the hydraulics". Probably I should look at other things while I have it apart, like the unload valve o-rings, what do you think?.

Thanks in advance for any help.

/ Hydraulic leak #2  
what did you see with the check valve that seems wrong?

/ Hydraulic leak
what did you see with the check valve that seems wrong?

HI, looking at the safety valve itself, I see nothing wrong. I just don't know if it would show if it was worn. And, according to the oil flow diagram, I can't remove the cover plate to see if it's where the lift is leaking, unless I want an oil geiser in my garage :). If I find the right bolt thread, I may plug the hole just to see if it fix the problem and buy a new one if it does.

Thanks.

/ Hydraulic leak #4  
are we talking check valve or relief?

/ Hydraulic leak
Oh, sorry, I misread your post.

Actually, I saw nothing wrong with the check valve but I don't really know how to inspect it by eye.

Last edited:
   / Hydraulic leak
Here some pictures I took yesterday. (I'm sorry but I didn't find the way to upload files directly in the post...)

The check-valve ball seems fine:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B3yqm9-XgS6qMEIxXzZBYlMwalczUHVfZVpnelIwQjNlT1A4/view?usp=sharing

The control valve and it's seat, note that the unload valve plug is removed, changed the O-Ring of the valve :
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B3yqm9-XgS6qd0hRekhZYkJpal9HS1FEYm1jM0dZRk03OGl3/view?usp=sharing
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B3yqm9-XgS6qUjRxY01sZ2E1eVhYWXJlU3Nsdm9UTjJhYUVv/view?usp=sharing

The piston, may be a bit scored but since it's the O-Ring that seal the thing, I figure the problem is somewhere else, what do you think? Anyway, a new OEM O-Ring is going in, should-I change the leather too?
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B3yqm9-XgS6qUG9QQTJiWXF4czFCbTd3ekxZR3hxMTFleFkw/view?usp=sharing

The Cylinder is not that bad. I suspect the dealer kept the old piston when he changed the cylinder a few years back.
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B3yqm9-XgS6qTERNbjF0VkFwdlZWWUR4Q3ZidHFPVU1zWk9Z/view?usp=sharing

/ Hydraulic leak #7  
Did you do a system pressure test before you pulled everything apart? Yes your already there so I'd change the leather too. Soak it in in hyd. oil for a bit also. From here the cyl. looks perfect but the piston, not so much. Hit it Lightly with some 400 emery to take off the high points. Then mic the piston and cyl. to see how much slop is in there. Not saying it's your problem but If there's to much slop the piston will skirt and you'll get blow by.

/ Hydraulic leak
Did you do a system pressure test before you pulled everything apart? Yes your already there so I'd change the leather too. Soak it in in hyd. oil for a bit also. From here the cyl. looks perfect but the piston, not so much. Hit it Lightly with some 400 emery to take off the high points. Then mic the piston and cyl. to see how much slop is in there. Not saying it's your problem but If there's to much slop the piston will skirt and you'll get blow by.

Thanks City Farmer.

Did as you said. The piston seems tight enough so I'll try it like it is.

For the pressure test, I'll have a gauge for the weekend. I am sure I had a problem on the cylinder side since it does not keep its position. However, I wont be surprised to have a problem on the pump side too. Will try by the auxiliary port or by bolting the cover plate backward.

If the pressure is too low (I guess under 1800 psi ??). .I'll take the pump apart to see if the pistons there are in the same shape than the ram piston, I hope not.

/ Hydraulic leak #9  
You want relief pressure!

Like 2250-2500.. Whatever the manual says. 1500-1700 is Ford n pressure

/ Hydraulic leak
You want relief pressure!

Like 2250-2500.. Whatever the manual says. 1500-1700 is Ford n pressure

Thanks for the numbers. For relief, according to the diagram, the relief is between the cover and the pump, so I should not have a problem with it.

Unfortunately, the pump did not prime when I put everything back this weekend. I had no hallen key big enough for the plug on the pump and no air compressor. Will bring both on my next trip.