Hydraulic Level

/ Hydraulic Level #1  

Mculby

Tractor
Kubota L4400-1 HST
I have been running some hydraulic implemnets with my tractor and noticed that I was getting low on fluid. So I filled up the fluid so that the site glass was full. I then proceded to extend my loader and three point all the way up and saw that the site glass was all the way down and showed almost empty. Should the site glass be full with all hydraulics extended or should it be full only when all the hydraulics are retracted.

/ Hydraulic Level #2  
I have been running some hydraulic implemnets with my tractor and noticed that I was getting low on fluid. So I filled up the fluid so that the site glass was full. I then proceded to extend my loader and three point all the way up and saw that the site glass was all the way down and showed almost empty. Should the site glass be full with all hydraulics extended or should it be full only when all the hydraulics are retracted.

An the ans. is.

/ Hydraulic Level #3  
How about: not above full when retracted and not below min when extended. ...or somewhere thereabouts.

/ Hydraulic Level #4  
The general rule is with the tractor turned off for a while to allow settling, the loader on the ground, and the 3PH fully lowered the level should be in the middle of the sight glass. There is plenty of reserve in the sump to operate all the cylinders.

It is common to see the glass empty while the machine is being operated.

/ Hydraulic Level #5  
The position of cylinders makes no difference to the level of the tractor's reservoir. Each cylinder has fluid on both sides of the piston. Fluid is pumped to one side of the piston, forcing a near equal amount out the other side. That's why a loader can exert force in either direction.

/ Hydraulic Level #6  
The position of cylinders makes no difference to the level of the tractor's reservoir. Each cylinder has fluid on both sides of the piston. Fluid is pumped to one side of the piston, forcing a near equal amount out the other side. That's why a loader can exert force in either direction.

Might be splitting hairs but actually theres a big difference in volume between an extended piston and a retracted piston. Perhaps its not really significant relative to the total sump capacity but nevertheless I've seen 'factory recommendations' that every cylinder should be fully extended when topping up the fluid. On a TLB with numerous rams (including stabilisers) this could add up to quite a few pints.

/ Hydraulic Level #7  
<snip>I've seen 'factory recommendations' that every cylinder should be fully extended when topping up the fluid. On a TLB with numerous rams (including stabilisers) this could add up to quite a few pints.
IS THIS TRUE???
If so it's very important. I've been checking my ride with the BH folded and the FEL on the ground.
Must go do tests!!

/ Hydraulic Level #8  
IS THIS TRUE???
If so it's very important. I've been checking my ride with the BH folded and the FEL on the ground.
Must go do tests!!

STOP! My apologies. I found the pic and its the opposite to what I remembered. In fact every ram is retracted. (What fooled me was the memory of the high BH in the pic).

Anyway, this pic is specific to this machine. You need to follow your own ops manual. (Checking oil with the loader in the air would be a unsafe practice too!)

Attachments

• Oil fill.pdf
    43.9 KB · Views: 382
   / Hydraulic Level #9  
The general rule is with the tractor turned off for a while to allow settling, the loader on the ground, and the 3PH fully lowered the level should be in the middle of the sight glass. There is plenty of reserve in the sump to operate all the cylinders.

It is common to see the glass empty while the machine is being operated.

That is exactly what I was told today by delivery guy of new tractor.

/ Hydraulic Level #10  
STOP! My apologies. I found the pic and its the opposite to what I remembered. In fact every ram is retracted. (What fooled me was the memory of the high BH in the pic).

Anyway, this pic is specific to this machine. You need to follow your own ops manual. (Checking oil with the loader in the air would be a unsafe practice too!)

Glad you posted back - That pic tells it all. I'd been checking it with the BH folded, thus rams extended, and sometimes FEL extended (down but curled over). My manual only says "lower the implement". However I don't see how checking the oil with the FEL in the air is any worse than with the BH erect.

When I checked it last night (after reading your post) with everything retracted (like the picture) the oil level was high (HATE THAT CLEAR SUDT), with everything extended the oil level did not show up, so it looks like it will take two quarts! Luckily I bought 5 gallons.

Also luckily I didn't fully trust your post, and you posted back, so I didn't add anything!