Hydraulic motor keeps pushing seal out.

/ Hydraulic motor keeps pushing seal out. #1  

4570Man

Super Star Member
Tractor
Kubota M59, Kubota L3800, Grasshopper 428D, Topkick dump truck, 3500 dump truck, 10 ton trailer, more lighter trailers.
When I got this mower the seal was pushed part way out. Without removing the hub I used a pry bar to push it back in. It pushed back out and then I replaced the seal. It fit tight enough it couldn’t be pushed in by hand. Then it pushed out again. The hub fits tight enough that it can’t come all the way out but far enough to leak. IMG_1416.JPG

/ Hydraulic motor keeps pushing seal out. #2  
I wonder if you could clean the hub real well and use Loktite on a new seal. Not its intend purpose but it might just be what is needed to hold it in place.

/ Hydraulic motor keeps pushing seal out. #3  
When I got this mower the seal was pushed part way out. Without removing the hub I used a pry bar to push it back in. It pushed back out and then I replaced the seal. It fit tight enough it couldn’t be pushed in by hand. Then it pushed out again. The hub fits tight enough that it can’t come all the way out but far enough to leak. View attachment 590770
Is to possible that there is an E-clip or snap ring missing?
The shaft is a taperd shaft with a woodruff key, so whatever fits on the shaft does nothing to hold the seal in place.
After the seal is in place is there a lip where a snap ring should go to secure it?

/ Hydraulic motor keeps pushing seal out.
Is to possible that there is an E-clip or snap ring missing?
The shaft is a taperd shaft with a woodruff key, so whatever fits on the shaft does nothing to hold the seal in place.
After the seal is in place is there a lip where a snap ring should go to secure it?

The hub that goes on the shaft isn’t supposed to touch the seal but it does keep it from coming completely out. I don’t think there was supposed to be a snap ring but I’ll check the other side.

/ Hydraulic motor keeps pushing seal out. #5  
IF its pushing seal out my guess would be the bearing/shaft behind seal is moving laterally excessively... Suggest you look deeper than just the seal...

Dale

I’ve had the motor apart which I wish I hadn’t done in hindsight and I didn’t see any abnormal wear inside the motor.

/ Hydraulic motor keeps pushing seal out. #7  
Is the seal failure something new or is this motor new to you and one of the first times that you have it?

Seals being pushed out is frequently from excess pressure in the seal area. Does this motor has a case drain line? If no there should be a couple of check valves that connect the seal area to the work ports. If one of these is stuck open it would allow excessive flow into the seal area causing the problem you are experiencing

Depending on seal style in could have also have a retaining ring to hold it in place.

It’s on a mower I got last year. And the seal has been pushed out since before I got it. There’s no case drain.

/ Hydraulic motor keeps pushing seal out. #9  
It’s on a mower I got last year. And the seal has been pushed out since before I got it. There’s no case drain.
That style seal and that style housing I'll bet dollars to donuts that there is supposed to be a snap ring holding the seal in place.
You say it's on a mower, are you talking about a zero turn style mower?

/ Hydraulic motor keeps pushing seal out. #10  

Is this a wheel drive on a mower or the spindle drive?