hydraulic oil dipstick levels???

/ hydraulic oil dipstick levels??? #1  

GYPSY

Bronze Member
Tractor
JOHN DEERE
hi y'all, how do you guys see the fluid levels on your dipsticks??? the darn fluid is so clear that its impossible for me to see it on my jd 5400 series, but regardless of brand, the dipstick is shiney steel and the fluid is clear..heck, dip the stick and pull it out a million times and can never see the mark thats its at??? thanks for your ideas and time,

gypsy

/ hydraulic oil dipstick levels??? #2  
Take a clean dark rag or piece of newspaper. Place dipstick end against rag/newspaper and gauge where the wet spot is located on dipstick.

/ hydraulic oil dipstick levels??? #3  
If you shine a flashlight down the length of the dipstick, from the handle, you'll see a shadow of the "bubble" of where the fluid starts on the stick.

/ hydraulic oil dipstick levels??? #4  
If I absolutely can not tell a little baby powder works wonders.

/ hydraulic oil dipstick levels??? #5  
Drill some tiny 1/16" or slightly larger holes in your dipstick. The fluid will fill the holes and it will be easy to observe the level. Don't drill much larger than 1/16" or the fluid won't collect in the holes. Many dipsticks come from the factory with pre-drilled holes.

/ hydraulic oil dipstick levels??? #6  
I do the newspaper thing:thumbsup:

/ hydraulic oil dipstick levels??? #7  
Take a metal file and lightly groove the surface. Even just roughing it up will help with some 35 grit.

/ hydraulic oil dipstick levels??? #8  
i have done the drill trick like jim suggests. also wipingthe stick real clean then resticking and observing where the wet line stops in bright light works too.

/ hydraulic oil dipstick levels??? #9  
I believe it is Chevron that make Hyd fluid that has a red dye

/ hydraulic oil dipstick levels??? #10  
I believe it is Chevron that make Hyd fluid that has a red dye

John Deere has red dye made to put in any hydraulic fluid to make it easier to see.