hydraulic oil leak near left front wheel

/ hydraulic oil leak near left front wheel #1  

Kaon99

Bronze Member
Hi Guys and Gals,
Its been a very long time since I posted. I have had my PT-425 for almost 15 years and, so far, have been able to fix problems on my own. Yesterday, however, I noticed a pretty major hydraulic oil leak near the left front wheel motor between the tire and the PT body. There is too much debris to see where the oil is coming from. I will clean it out and see what I can tell. Before I do, I have 2 questions: 1) if the hose is leaking how do I make a repair? 2) If the wheel motor itself is leaking what should I do? Try to repair or replace?

Finally, what is the most likely problem, hose or wheel motor? I have never had to deal with a leak (thankfully) and would appreciate any insight you can give me.

Thanks,
Ken in Mississippi

/ hydraulic oil leak near left front wheel #2  
That sounds like a blown motor seal, which can be replaced or rebuilt.

All the best, Peter

/ hydraulic oil leak near left front wheel #3  
I second Peter assessment. Depending on where u live u can probably find a local shop to fix. If you have not replaced these hoses this might be the time to depending on condition.

/ hydraulic oil leak near left front wheel #4  
First, hope for the best... like a loose hose connection. Not likely, but hey, think positive!

If it's a cracked or leaking hose, replace the entire hose. Remove, it, and PLUG THE HOLES where it came from. There's been a few instances of hoses left off a machine and having a huge puddle in the morning.

Take the hose to a local hydraulic shop, NAPA, etc... and have them find you one of the same length with same fittings.

If motor seal, again, remove AND PLUG the hoses. Then take it to a hydraulic shop for repair or change the seal yourself, if capable. Worst case, ship the motor to Power Trac, (I don't recommend this) and they'll redo it for you. Almost always cheaper and faster to have it done locally.

/ hydraulic oil leak near left front wheel #5  
had the same thing happen.....wheel motor seal blown.......I sent it down to PT and had them do it....had it back in a couple of days......remember getting the hub off was a bear....had to rent a puller and use a lot of heat.....also if you're like me and use downward pressure of the front bucket to raise the wheel off the ground remember to block the frame solid underneath or that leak down will get you.......don't ask how I know....:D ......Jack

/ hydraulic oil leak near left front wheel
Guys,
it indeed looks like a blow motor seal. The leak is between the motor housing and axle (shaft) that drives the wheel. I looked at the schematic and all it indicated was "wheel motor." My first reaction was that it means I have to replace the motor itself. But you guys are saying the motor can be repaired so I guess my next job is to find a reliable hydraulic repair shop. Even though the leak is pretty bad, I think I can add some hydraulic oil and get the PT425 on a trailer and to a repair shop. I will ask them to check the whole hydraulic system and replace whatever needs replacement. Wish me luck. This is new territory for me. - Ken

/ hydraulic oil leak near left front wheel #7  
Ken. So one of the joys / annoyances of the pt is self service repair. Plenty of people who can help guide you through removal and replacement of your wheel motor. And the money you save will more than cover the costs of any tools you don't own

/ hydraulic oil leak near left front wheel #8  
Ken , I just had 3 of my wheel motors rebuilt by power trac. My 422 wheel seals were leaking pretty bad. Terry said they could send me repair kit and I could do it myself, but he said my wheel motors were a little harder than most so I decided to have them do it.

/ hydraulic oil leak near left front wheel #9  
trust me ken....if I can get a wheel motor off anyone can.....lol........if I remember correctly after removing the wheel there is a cotter pin and then you just need wrenches to remove two hose connections and some bolts.......I did rent a puller at a local rental yard to get the hub off...that was the most difficult thing to do but all in all it took about 30 minutes total.......take pics as you undo things so you can refer to them when it comes time to reinstall........and the people on here are great if you run into any questions.....once the motor is off you can take it to your local shop or ship it to pt to have the seal replaced......but in the end you need to do what's most comfortable for you......I'm kind of in the middle of no where so my options are limited plus I have no way of trailering my pt so there's that too.....Jack