Oil & Fuel hydraulic oil or transmission problem

/ hydraulic oil or transmission problem #1  

bdm123

Tractor
MF135
Hi,
I have an early '70s MF135.
The problem is a few new behaviours:

When it gets "stuck" when dragging a scraper blade, one or both wheels used to continue to spin, now they just stop.

In high range, I must step through the gears - 1st, 2nd, 3rd where before I could start in 3rd high, it would just labour a while until it got up to speed. Now it just wont move when starting from a full stop in 2nd or 3rd high.

Is this a hydraulic oil problem, like water in the oil, or is this a worn out transmission?

The hydraulic oil looks sort of creamy and bubbly. I suppose I should change the hydraulic oil anyway, but is that only part of the issue?

/ hydraulic oil or transmission problem #2  
I'm no hydraulics expert, but as far as I know, if the fluid looks anything other than slightly brownish or clear, with no bubbles, there's definitely a problem, most likely contamination.

Sounds like water, air, or both in your case. Definitely get it out of there. Throw on a new filter as well, then watch closely. Don't forget intake screen, if the 135 has one.

Your symptoms are right in line with lowered hydraulic pressure and/or flow, which would result from contamination. Let's hope the pump & transmission are OK!

/ hydraulic oil or transmission problem #3  
Sounds like a clutch problem to me unless you have a multi-power transmission. Also sounds like water in the oil. I would change the oil, clean the screen and use only Permatran oil if you have the multi-power transmission. Also check the boots around the gear shifters as this is where water can get in oil.

/ hydraulic oil or transmission problem #4  
Hi,
I have an early '70s MF135.
The problem is a few new behaviours:

When it gets "stuck" when dragging a scraper blade, one or both wheels used to continue to spin, now they just stop.

In high range, I must step through the gears - 1st, 2nd, 3rd where before I could start in 3rd high, it would just labour a while until it got up to speed. Now it just wont move when starting from a full stop in 2nd or 3rd high.

Is this a hydraulic oil problem, like water in the oil, or is this a worn out transmission?

The hydraulic oil looks sort of creamy and bubbly. I suppose I should change the hydraulic oil anyway, but is that only part of the issue?

Your clutch is either completely shot or it needs an immediate adjustment....Don't use the tractor any more till you at least attempt adjust it....BobG in VA...

/ hydraulic oil or transmission problem #5  
Sounds like clutch is out. The fluid doesn't have anything to do with the drive.
The transmission has water in it. I would replace the fluid with some cheap fluid and work it until it is warmed up and then drain and put Permtran back in.