Hydraulic or HST Filter?

/ Hydraulic or HST Filter? #1  

1990F-150

Tractor
2023 LS MT240HE. JD S240. Honda Pioneer 520. Ford 8n. Ford 9n
I'm doing the 50-hour service on my MT240he, and am a little confused about what hydraulic filter I need. The manual states a hydraulic filter, but the website has both a hydraulic filter and an HST filter. Anyone know which filter to get? and what hydraulic fluid should I get to replace the amount lost with the filter?

/ Hydraulic or HST Filter? #2  
I would change both filters. Mine has a napa1551 hydro filter. The larger filter is a Donaldson from the factory but I don't recall the number, I can look when I get home. I use a udt equivalent oil.

/ Hydraulic or HST Filter? #3  
if you have a HST, you want to replace both. The manual has pages for both HST and Mechanical, make sure you are looking at the HST one.

If you put a small shop vac on the hydraulic fill port, you won't lose much fluid when you pull the big filter, really just what's in the filter will come out. If you don't use the vacuum trick, you risk dumping 8 gallons.

I did mine a few years ago, and only needed a quart or two. Back then WallyWorld had "Premium Heavy Duty Tractor Hydraulic and Transmission Fluid" on the shelf. Looks just like this, but without the Premium/Heavy Duty tag, might just be marketing, and you only need a little bit. Robot or human?

Last edited:
   / Hydraulic or HST Filter?
Sounds good I’ll do both filters. I’ll definitely try the shop vac trick. spilling out all the hydraulic fluid would make for a bad day in the shop.