Hydraulic pump ??? '63 Case 441

/ Hydraulic pump ??? '63 Case 441 #1  

SharkmanDan

Tractor
Kubota B7100D
I have a 63 Case 441 (gas) tractor. With the hay spike it will lift a large bale of hay about 4"-6". With the hay forks, it will not lift the bale off of the ground, at all. I was told by an old timer, that the pump is a throw-away, not to bother trying to get it rebuilt. I generally heed the advice of those who surely know more than I do, but I'm also the parsimonious sort.
What say you all? Should I try to find a place who might rebuild it? Should I look for a rebuild kit and try to do it myself? Should I buy a new one? Should I seek other options? If so, which options?
OR, is this just normal, and I shouldn't expect more, out of the old girl?

/ Hydraulic pump ??? '63 Case 441 #2  
Start pricing pumps. Hydraulic pumps are usually gear pumps, that is they depend on the mesh between two gears reducing the space and attempting to compress the liquid as they turn. An overhaul of the pump will generally require replacement of just about everything inside the case. Parts alone may be more than the price of a complete pump.

/ Hydraulic pump ??? '63 Case 441 #3  
Have you done a pressure check on the system..?? I'd try doing a check before, and after the relief valve. I'm seeing on the Case/IH online parts store, they offer a relief valve rebuild kit. That would lead me to believe the relief valve maybe a weak link in the system. Official Case IH Online Parts Store and Case IH Catalog for Best Parts Search and Best Parts Look Up. Case IH Parts for Case IH Tractors, Case IH Combines, Case IH Tractors, Case IH Manuals, Case IH Parts

Closest I've ever had to a 441, was a 310B backhoe. Back when they used industrial versions of farm tractors for backhoes. It did have a mid ship, inside torque tube pump, driven by the main shaft going to the transmission. It also had the rock shaft/lift connection, for lift arms, for the Eagle Hitch. Not sure where the pump is on a 441. If it's external, count that as a blessing.

/ Hydraulic pump ??? '63 Case 441 #4  
I have a B414 that had similar issues. Assuming you've checked/changed the fluid, checked the suction and orifice filters, the hydraulic pump would be the next thing (in order from least to most expensive). I found one on amazon in 2016 for $124US

/ Hydraulic pump ??? '63 Case 441
Sorry for the delay replying. I got no notification of any replies, and thought nobody had replied. Today, I decided I ought to check, as I'd like to get this going for Spring usage.
I'm fairly new to all of this, and do not have the proper tools to check the pressure. Can someone give me some guidance, on a "bush fix" to try to figure out the problem and then resolve it.
Thanks in advance.

/ Hydraulic pump ??? '63 Case 441 #6  
I don't think a pressure test is necessary, if it doesn't lift, there's no pressure. Either the hydraulic fluid isn't flowing or it's leaking past the hydraulic piston.
Google Case parts store, look up your tractor and find the parts diagrams. Changing the fluid and filters go hand it hand. If the fluid is dirty, it will block the suction filter and won't flow. The fine mesh was gone in my filter, allowing dirt to circulate through the system. My orifice filter was snapped off inside, allowing dirt into the hydraulic cylinder. The hydraulic piston oring could be worn, allowing fluid to bypass the piston. The piston wasn't the easiest thing to get back in, there were a lot of internal levers that had to be put back into place. There are orings on the flow control off and the speed control (if applicable). Replacing all of this gave me a 50%(?) improvement. Replacing the hydraulic pump is really what the difference, although a rebuild kit would have been much cheaper.
If your filters are in good shape, I'd change the fluid and try to rebuild the pump. That would be the cheapest option.