Hydraulic Pump Dead?

/ Hydraulic Pump Dead?
A lot of auto parts stores will take used oil too. Some have a maximum per customer. If that's the case give them the maximum, then go the next day and give them the maximum again.

One caution... if you tell them it's hydraulic fluid they may balk. Be sure to call it hydraulic oil

/ Hydraulic Pump Dead? #42  
My closest Tractor shop takes all the oil they can get, they heat their shop with a waste oil furnace. In fact I have a cut down pallet just the size of a 55 gal drum, I just load it into the pickup and they get it with their forklift, then we just twist the drum off of the pallet (they keep trying to steal my cut down pallets:D) and I go and get another drum to take home and put back in my shop.

/ Hydraulic Pump Dead? #43  
A lot of auto parts stores will take used oil too. Some have a maximum per customer. If that's the case give them the maximum, then go the next day and give them the maximum again.

One caution... if you tell them it's hydraulic fluid they may balk. Be sure to call it hydraulic oil

Our auto shop limits it to one gallon. I hold 14.5 gallons just in hydraulic oil. Plus another 1.5 gallons of engine oil. Not to mention front differential and hubs. It would take 3 weeks and I think they would realize I was exceeding their one gallon limit, not to mention the cost of the fuel for that many trips.

I'll figure something out.

/ Hydraulic Pump Dead? #44  
My closest Tractor shop takes all the oil they can get, they heat their shop with a waste oil furnace. In fact I have a cut down pallet just the size of a 55 gal drum, I just load it into the pickup and they get it with their forklift, then we just twist the drum off of the pallet (they keep trying to steal my cut down pallets:D) and I go and get another drum to take home and put back in my shop.

I need to find out more about waste oil furnaces. My shop is not currently heated and I would like to change that, at least when I'm working in there. It gets plenty cold this time of year if you're in there for very long.

/ Hydraulic Pump Dead? #45  
Our auto shop limits it to one gallon. I hold 14.5 gallons just in hydraulic oil. Plus another 1.5 gallons of engine oil. Not to mention front differential and hubs. It would take 3 weeks and I think they would realize I was exceeding their one gallon limit, not to mention the cost of the fuel for that many trips.

If you have a TSC store nearby, give them a call or ask the next time you are in there. Ours takes all oils and has no maximum limits. You can back your truck right up the the tank, and dump bucket after bucket.

/ Hydraulic Pump Dead? #46  
The quick lube places here gladly take any oil product. Maybe they sell their used oil? I just drop plastic jugs off beside the door if not open.

/ Hydraulic Pump Dead?

Wow! I think mine had a 5 gallon limit.

I now give it all to my BIL who has a waste oil heater in his shop.

/ Hydraulic Pump Dead? #48  
the frist thing i would do is get it in a warm garage and let it warm up good and pull the filters and put new filters on and pull the drain plugs out of diffarentials if that is part of your hydraulic system and put the plug back in fast just to check for water in the oil and the last time you used it, it was like jelly and after you warmed it up it settled out it frorsted up and frooze it happen a lot, tempature changes do funny things.

/ Hydraulic Pump Dead?
Here is more of a thought question...

Will long periods without starting it contribute more to the problem?

This poor tractor will be worked hard for a couple of weeks at a time (spring, fall, when it snows), and then sit sometimes for months at a time.

/ Hydraulic Pump Dead? #50  
In a unheated shop and with the normal fluctuations in temps you will always get some condensation in the tractors. The engine gets good and hot and takes care of most of it there but my old 9n that hyd never got really hot and liked to make water and it would catch me every now and then wanting a mid winter fluid change.

That was my fault with my old JD60 and the 9N I always tried to make them fluids go a bit further. With my newer ones I give them a good service and a extra filter change, I don't need that kind of problems at -20.