Hydraulic pump failure MT300D

/ Hydraulic pump failure MT300D #11  
Yikes don't do that!
he was asking a rhetorical question.

Deadheading a pump will either fracture the pump housing strip a drive tang/gear or possibly blow a hose. Or if you are really luck the system has a relief built into the system to relieve pressure before a catastrophic failure.

If no funny noises or other odd things happened when you fired up the tractor the first time I would suspect a vacuum leak on the suction side
of the pump.

Until there is fluid in the pump it wont do a whole lot of anything.

A vacuum leak on the suction side will cause the pump to just pump a small amount of air from the leak and it will not be able to pull the oil up into the pump itself. If you can check the draw side for leaks I would start there. You might be able to open the output connection past the pump and then back fill the pump, start it till it spews oil and then reconnect the pump output connection.
Of course if the pump is at ambient pressure (pump submerged) then these suggestions are probably not any help.

Last edited:
   / Hydraulic pump failure MT300D #12  
You don't want to dead head a pump. Dead heading is when the pressure line is blocked. If you disconnected the the loader hoses & they had snap couplers that you did not connect together & ran the tractor the oil from the pump would build up tremendous pressure & damage the pump. There are not rebuild kits for these pumps. I can supply hydraulic pumps for most tractors from OEM & aftermarket sources. I wouldn't mess with a front pump or pto pump. You will still need a pump for the 3 point. I had a tractor with a pto pump. Every time I wanted to use the pto I had to remove the pump.

/ Hydraulic pump failure MT300D
What a great thing this forum is! I suspected for a better term the system had lost its “prime.” So I begin again in April when my fingers won’t freeze in the Minnesota/Wisconsin winter. Thanks again for your help and what’s good to know is that future assistance is like my home brew, it keeps and improves.

/ Hydraulic pump failure MT300D
Good news, operator error during a repair was the reason for no hydraulic pressure, a quick connect wasn’t fully engaged. It wouldn’t pull apart but wasn’t really connected.
Live and learn.