Hydraulic pump noise on 8N

/ Hydraulic pump noise on 8N #21  
Got-r-done with no hydraulic lift issues tonight. I worked that 2 acre field the short way across tonight, so there were lots of lifts. I’ll work it the long way tomorrow, prior to planting.
1C8779A1-2D5D-4D11-A67E-5C7FDE475D64.jpeg

Too bad they don’t make tractors like this anymore. In my opinion, every supposed “improvement”, since the 1951 Ford 8n, has actually been a step backward. That was the most refined form of the first modern, 3-point utility tractor.

I’ve not operated anything made since then, that is easier to get on and off of, attach and remove implements, easier to maintain, easier to find parts for, or been much more pleasurable to operate for certain tasks, such as the one that I just knocked off with it tonight.

It has a few less hours on it now than I thought it had, at just 2155. The original tires look like they still have more than half of their useable tread on them, and most of the factory paint is still there.

Last edited:
   / Hydraulic pump noise on 8N #22  
I am a BIG fan of the "N" tractors, good power, nimble, will work all day without complaint and is an easy keeper if you have the sense God gave a goose. I have said many times, anyone that cannot make a Briggs and Stratton or Ford "N" run needs to turn in their man card. :D

Only two things would make it THE PERFECT tractor, live PTO and live lift. But after years of running em' it's no big deal not having either and it ain't no deal breaker, still love em'. My SIL had a 52' model that was as near perfect from the factory as any I have seen in years but like everything else he has owned, he traded it off. If I had know he was going to do that I would have bought it, it was that good, sadly it was gone before I knew it was... gone.

/ Hydraulic pump noise on 8N #23  
I am a BIG fan of the "N" tractors, good power, nimble, will work all day without complaint and is an easy keeper if you have the sense God gave a goose. I have said many times, anyone that cannot make a Briggs and Stratton or Ford "N" run needs to turn in their man card. :D

Only two things would make it THE PERFECT tractor, live PTO and live lift. But after years of running em' it's no big deal not having either and it ain't no deal breaker, still love em'. My SIL had a 52' model that was as near perfect from the factory as any I have seen in years but like everything else he has owned, he traded it off. If I had know he was going to do that I would have bought it, it was that good, sadly it was gone before I knew it was... gone.
I used mine on a 5 ft Bush-hog Squealer for a few years. It did ok on that, after I added a $ 75 overrunning coupler/shaft adapter on the pto shaft.

Certainly very far from the best tractor to use on pto tools though. I screwed the steel dust cover over the pto shaft about 30 years ago and have not had it off since.

/ Hydraulic pump noise on 8N #24  
I don't use my '52 8N much any longer but I just cannot get rid of her. I'm getting ready to put new seals and brakes in her after doing that in 1995 when I bought her from the original purchaser. He replaced two plow horses with her and farmed 77 acres of corn, soybean, and hay from '52 until I bought her in 1995 because his hips and knees would not allow him to get on her any longer. There are still a ton of N's being used on small acreage properties in this country. Counting mine, there are at least 3 others within a mile of my place.