Hydraulic Pump Sizing

/ Hydraulic Pump Sizing
Well I was planning on using the cylinder because I have it. It is not worth anything to anyone so...
I came across a 8' long 12" high piece of I beam with 8" width on the top and bottom a few years back. That's the piece I planned to use for the frame of the splitter.
I've had a few logs come popping out at me too if the blade was vertical to the beam. I've used one that had a slight angle on it and didn't have the same problem with the logs. I was also thinking of having the stationary edge on a slight angle.
Think 50t will chop the logs? It would save wear and tear on the chainsaw :D

/ Hydraulic Pump Sizing #12  
I think I'm missing something here. What is the bore of the cylinder?

/ Hydraulic Pump Sizing #13  
I'm with you Wayne something sure went over my head. And one that took my hat off (full rpm to raise a loader to back up.)

/ Hydraulic Pump Sizing
Wayne County Hose said:
I think I'm missing something here. What is the bore of the cylinder?

The cylinders on the loader are 2 1/2" (times 2 cylinders for the lift and times 2 for the bucket). The cylinder for the logsplitter is 8" with a 2" shaft. Doing the math for the logsplitter (force = 3.1415 X r^2 X psi) I get just over 100,000 pounds or 50 tons.

Leejohn said:
I'm with you Wayne something sure went over my head. And one that took my hat off (full rpm to raise a loader to back up.)

Growing up on a farm, we had quite a few tractors with FEL on them. It always seemed like an issue to get any decent movement out of the loader without the throttle at 75% to 100%. So my thought was that if I increase the pump flow rate I would be increasing the cylinder speed.
If I want to run something like a logsplitter then having that extra flow would keep the cycle time the same without having to keep the tractor throttled up. (theoretically if I still have enough hp at the lower rpms to keep the pump from bogging down the tractor)
The cycle time for the logsplitter will be increased from roughly 75 seconds down to 60 seconds by going from 12 to 14 gpm.

/ Hydraulic Pump Sizing #15  
MReeb said:
The cylinders on the loader are 2 1/2" (times 2 cylinders for the lift and times 2 for the bucket). The cylinder for the logsplitter is 8" with a 2" shaft. Doing the math for the logsplitter (force = 3.1415 X r^2 X psi) I get just over 100,000 pounds or 50 tons.
That must be a low pressure cyl. That rod is the smallest Ive ever heard of on an 8" cyl. Only other thing I can think of is its a single acting 'pull' cylinder.
larry

/ Hydraulic Pump Sizing #16  
Larry is correct. I too wonder what function that cylinder was for.

/ Hydraulic Pump Sizing #17  
To answer your original question - there will (95% sure) no problems going to a larger pump. Fords of the same era and size usually had 14 gpm pumps at 1800 rpm. Going up to 16 gpm at 1600 rpm should still be ok.

jb

/ Hydraulic Pump Sizing #18  
MReeb said:

I'm willing to bet that this is a pneumatic cylinder. Tan in color maybe?