Hydraulic pump whine, massey/agco/iseki

/ Hydraulic pump whine, massey/agco/iseki #1  

Long Valley

Tractor
Agco, Case, Deere
Hello all,

I have an Agco ST41A, which is the same tractor as a Massey 1540, made in Japan by Iseki. The tractor developed hydraulic issues last fall and I'm trying to diagnose before spring. Symptoms were intermittent loss of Hydraulics and definitely whining and chattering noise from the pump. I changed fluid and filter about 100 hrs ago, and just changed the filter again. Massey has 4 or 5 different part numbers for filters, and I believe the one i had on it was too fine, which may have caused cavitation. I have a video i will try to post that you can hear the whine that goes up and down with rpms.

/ Hydraulic pump whine, massey/agco/iseki #3  
What filter are you using? Same as previous? This is the Transmission filter, charge pump. Not sure if there’s a second filter.
See this picture about the WIX recommendation. Bottom line in photo
IMG_0059.png

Last edited:
   / Hydraulic pump whine, massey/agco/iseki
Thanks. I bought one of the 51664 filters and it doesnt fit. There is only 1 filter on this tractor, on the suction side of the pump. The filter that was on it when i bought it was grey and only had 1 number on it "1720". I cannot find any info on that filter anywhere. So i tried the 51664, no go. Then got 3322234M2 from the dealer. Then started having loss of hydraulics, so then switched to wix 57403 which was cross referenced to the agco filter. Then pump got noisy, ( i think the wix was 12 micron). In the agco parts books there is 3 different part numbers for hydraulic filters, (none of which is the one i got from the dealer). I called a different dealer and they gave me a totally different filter, which i found on agco parts book that its from a MF1440 which i think was an update to deal with hydraulic issues back when these tractors came out. Anyway, I think the damage is done and I will need a new pump. I also ordered a new relief valve as it doesnt seem to adjust at all and pressure is low.

/ Hydraulic pump whine, massey/agco/iseki #5  
It sounds like its sucking air in somewhere in the suction side.

New pump and relief valve installed, new filter and fluid, all is back to normal.

/ Hydraulic pump whine, massey/agco/iseki #7  
Good….but were you able to determine what type of damage to the pump and the cause? Maybe you could share/confirm the correct filter numbers for someone with the same tractor… 😉

The filter number is 3607790M1. I haven't taken the old pump apart yet, but pretty sure it was cavitation from lack of flow that caused it.

Last edited: