Hydraulic shuttle question

/ Hydraulic shuttle question #11  
I agree with JerryK on the most logical use of a hydraulic shuttle tranny.

/ Hydraulic shuttle question #12  
Kinetic energy = 1/2 Mass x Velocity squared. Twice the speed equals four times as much energy that has to be absorbed by the clutch. I try to pause the shuttle lever in neutral and/or slow down the tractor with the brakes when changing direction, especially when in high range. There's a bit of a lag built in to the reverser to protect the clutch. The lag is not enough in my opinion in high range at PTO speed, however, to reverse without clutching or a pause in neutral.

/ Hydraulic shuttle question #13  
I also am with JerryK. That is the way we always instructed when I was at a dealership.

/ Hydraulic shuttle question #14  
Just takes a little common sense. Like if you are rolling forward at high RPM, you don't just throw it into reverse. This is uncomfortable on the operator and bad for the tractor.

I usually use the clutch, but not always.

Last edited:
   / Hydraulic shuttle question #15  
On some systems the foot clutch uses the same clutch packs as the fwd/rev lever. It just opens up (disables) both hydraulic clutch packs. That always made sense to me.

/ Hydraulic shuttle question #16  
On some systems the foot clutch uses the same clutch packs as the fwd/rev lever. It just opens up (disables) both hydraulic clutch packs. That always made sense to me.

That's how the foot clutch pedal operates on a Kubota M7040 hyd shuttle which is the tractor this thread was initiated about. M7040 has a flywheel damper clutch that remains engaged all the time.

/ Hydraulic shuttle question #17  
I don't know how your M7040 works, buy my old John Deere reverser is used in conjunction with the foot throttle. While you can set the hand throttle to a ' certain ' RPM and use the hand reverser lever to change direction, even using the clutch... You usually run the tractor at that ' certain ' RPM with the foot throttle, let up on the foot throttle to idle, reverse direction at near idle, then press back on the foot throttle back up to RPM as you go in the new direction. That's how I was taught when I was little.. If you listen to heavy equipment operators, thats how they change direction too...

Same as I do it. I could not have said it any better. Well said JerryK. The only thing I have to add; is if I want to slow things even more, I pause the Reverser lever in neutral, then shift to desired direction of travel.

/ Hydraulic shuttle question #18  
It took me several months to stop using the foot clutch, same for my sons. We went from quite a few years with a synchronized-shuttle shift Case and before that non shuttle shift tractors.

Same here.
In surprise situations I still stand on the clutch.

E/S

/ Hydraulic shuttle question #19  
Same here.
In surprise situations I still stand on the clutch.

E/S

Yep, I think that is why they left the foot clutch there.

/ Hydraulic shuttle question #20  
Yep, I think that is why they left the foot clutch there.

The foot clutch is there for shifting gears. One can put the shuttle lever in neutral to change gears, but I find it easier to use the foot clutch. However, I will sometimes select a new gear with my right hand while changing direction with the shuttle lever with my left hand, no foot clutch involved. There's enough of a delay in clutch engagement to do that if you time it right.

I like the power shuttle system. It makes things a lot easier mowing, grading, or doing loader work. It's not fun though to end up with the lever in neutral when changing direction on a steep slope. That gets the heart rate elevated a bit.