Hydraulic Shuttle Transmission?

/ Hydraulic Shuttle Transmission? #1  

deerepower

Tractor
JD 820
Do the M-series with the hydraulic shuttle require you to still use the clutch or do you only shift the forward-reverse lever with no clutch at all? And are these transmissions pretty durable?

/ Hydraulic Shuttle Transmission? #2  
On the M-series with hydraulic shuttle, no clutch is required. You may use either the shuttle or the clutch.

I can't speak to the durable transmission. I haven't broke mine in 50 Hrs. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif I have never heard of a transmission problem on a M-series (but that doesn't mean much). I have heard of clutches going, but I think it may be more how it is used. It seems very strong to me.

/ Hydraulic Shuttle Transmission? #3  
Kubota has been building hydraulic shuttles for about or over twenty years and they are very reliable. You do not need the clutch with there unit and the transmission is very smooth between the shifts.

/ Hydraulic Shuttle Transmission? #4  
I'll chime in with Art - my first hydraulic shuttle was on a 1984 L4150 - no problems ever. No clutch pedal needed unless you wanted to use it too (like for smooth reversing at higher rpm) In the '90s they improved the shuttle valving for smooth shifting with rpms well above idle. Nice setup.