Hydraulic steering cylinder 855

/ Hydraulic steering cylinder 855 #1  

jkh

Tractor
855. X729
I would like to reseal the my steering cylinder. Does anyone know if this is possible?

/ Hydraulic steering cylinder 855 #2  
I would like to reseal the my steering cylinder. Does anyone know if this is possible?

If your cyl. is the welded style, it can be re-sealed but it isn,t easy. I,ve read of people cutting the cyl. apart in a lathe, re-sealing, then re-welding the cyl. back together.

/ Hydraulic steering cylinder 855
image-2055723863.jpg

I attached a photo it is the welded type not sure if this type of cylinder can be resealed?

/ Hydraulic steering cylinder 855 #4  
Looks to be the welded type. It will have to be cut apart, new seals installed, and then welded back together. If you have a hydraulic repair shop or a machine shop in your area they may be interested in fixing it for you. It can be done, but not a job for the average home owner.
Good luck,
Ken

Not sure if it really worth doing all that, but I do appreciate the reply. It looks like to me that there is no access but to cut it, but then trying to weld it back together, I would think welding it back would have and effect on the new seals then after going through all that I could end up where I started

Many thanks
Jkh

/ Hydraulic steering cylinder 855 #6  
Very simple job. Extend the ram, place cylinder in the bandsaw, cut off the entire backing plate. Clean entire parts system, add new seals, fill 1/4 space with oil ( to protect the seals from extreme heat ) tip up and weld. It is a good idea to V the edges so the weld penetrates without leaving pin holes for leaks. This has worked well for me without any problems. No secrets involved, just step by step and the cylinder will never know it was repaired. I don't paint until I have some hours on it to make sure pin holes don't show up.

Thank you for the reply. I appreciate the info, when I get the time I'll try it and hope that it works. Again thanks for the info.

/ Hydraulic steering cylinder 855 #8  
Very simple job. Extend the ram, place cylinder in the bandsaw, cut off the entire backing plate. Clean entire parts system, add new seals, fill 1/4 space with oil ( to protect the seals from extreme heat ) tip up and weld. It is a good idea to V the edges so the weld penetrates without leaving pin holes for leaks. This has worked well for me without any problems. No secrets involved, just step by step and the cylinder will never know it was repaired. I don't paint until I have some hours on it to make sure pin holes don't show up.

I have an old F725 that has this same cylinder and it's leaking bad. A replacement cylinder is almost $400. and that money is not available.

Looking at the picture, can you tell me where the cut should be made?
After replacing the seal, you fill the cylinder one quarter full of oil, then weld?
Any other tips would be hugely appreciated, Agent Blue.

/ Hydraulic steering cylinder 855 #9  

Just had my cylinder begin leaking from the wheel end. Your above instruction say to cut the entire backing plate off. Since I've not seen a breakdown of the cylinder does the plunger screw on the end of the ram? If not then please clarify for me what you mean by the "backplate".
Tnx....for your help.