Hydraulic Steering hose connections on CK20HST.. access???

/ Hydraulic Steering hose connections on CK20HST.. access??? #1  

PatasColo

Silver Member
Tractor
Kioti CK20S HST and Gravely walk-behind (2 wheel tractor - 700 lbs.).
Hi all,

I have a leak that is coming from one of the hydraulic steering lines (Kioti CK20HST). Leak is right next to or inside (i.e. on instrument panel side) the firewall where lines go into the steering box. There are 4 lines that go into the box from the engine compartment; they are in a tight configuration and there are other electrical harnesses, pipes, etc. that made it impossible for me to access the line connectors in 1.5 hours of cleaning/troubleshooting (but I'm open to suggestion).

I do not know if it is simply a connection that needs tightening, or if one of the hoses is bad and needs replacing. Leak just showed up I've only found it due to the hydro fluid mixing with dust to make a mess inside the engine compartment in that area. So, how do I best access those connections?

I've searched the threads and the internet for a specific answer, and it seems I have to remove the instrument panel. I've already removed the lower panel (center, below instrument panel), and it does not provide effective access. And to remove the instrument panel, the Workshop manual (which I've already consulted) says simply "remove steering wheel and remove throttle handle". I tried getting off the latter, but no dice... not sure how it is stuck on.

So, if you have specific input on any of the above, I'd appreciate it.
  • Can I avoid removing the instrument cluster? Has anyone else done this?
  • How to remove the steering wheel?
  • How to remove the throttle handle?
I can post a pic if helpful, but it'll be a bit later in the week (I'm at work most daylight hours now).
My ultimate goal is to understand the source and fix the leak. Thanks in advance!
-Mitch :)

Last edited:
   / Hydraulic Steering hose connections on CK20HST.. access???
OK, here's a couple photos from the engine compartment.
1128160730[1].jpg 1128160730b[1].jpg

Four hoses go into that rectangular hole in the firewall, just under the fuse block. The leaking hose is likely one of the bottom two (it is NOT the clearest one you see, on upper right - that hose is clean and dry). Most of the surrounding hoses or other items will not move easily (no slack or very stiff), and even if they did, the connections are well inside that firewall hole (several inches; the ones on the left are even farther in than the ones on the right).

Last edited:
   / Hydraulic Steering hose connections on CK20HST.. access??? #3  
If its where I think it is from the pictures, pull the center lower panel under the steering wheel - 2 bolts on each side. I think you can then reach them t from below the steering wheel and not touch it or the throttle. I have crow foot box end wrenches for just such a tight fit. However a call to a dealer should set you in the correct direction

Thanks for the idea powerscol. I mentioned in the OP that I already had removed that, hoping it would provide access, but no dice.... it's almost as tight as coming from the engine compartment. It might be less tight on a tractor like yours (the bigger CT235). I think I'm going to wait for a warmish day and then try to pull the whole console. If I do this, I'll take pictures to post here in case it might help someone in the future. I've already looked up for more hints on removing a steering wheel, so I'm ready to try that.

It may wait 'til Spring, seeing as the leak is so small (hydro fluid level not going down). I'll just keep a watch on that level and on this area where it's making a mess.

Best to you, -Mitch

OK, I thought I'd put the resolution here for anyone else who has a CK20. It turns out that it was a diesel fuel leak, not a hydraulic line leak. It got worse, and I could smell the diesel. So here are the key points:
- There is a "return fuel line" right under those 4 hydraulic steering hoses... very tight space.
- That line is connected (under those hoses) to a nipple at the end of the series of injectors (I'll post a marked up photo to illustrate).
- On the CK20, that line always has fuel flowing in it, back to the fuel tank (I just learned that this is not an uncommon strategy, and warms fuel for easier operation).
- That line has a small cheap wire clamp on it. It is a low pressure line, but if it gets a leak or gets disconnected, you'll have fuel flowing out while the tractor runs.

You can see an example of the clamp at the other end of that line, connected at the fuel tank in a photo I'll post; each end is connected the same way. Well, two of the four hydraulic lines have spring coiled around them, and this rests on top of the fuel return line. I'm not sure which thing caused it, but over time, the leak developed right where the return line connects to the nipple under those hydraulic hoses. You'll see in the photo I'll post shortly that both the coils and wire clamp bit into the hose; I have not determined which one caused the leak, but it was leaking regularly... drip, drip, drip...

Here are those pictures...
  • First, what the other end of the fuel return line looks like at gas tank; it's the same small hose and clamp at the engine.
  • Second, a picture of the leaking end of line, showing the bites by the clamp and the spring coils (the other piece of rubber line is a "plug" I made to cover the nipple to keep fuel from flowing out while I cut and rerouted the return line; rerouted to get some slack ... there was none.)
  • Third, detail from one of my previous photos, showing the location of the nipple/leak under the spring-coiled hydraulic hoses.
Screen Shot 01-16-17 at 12.44 PM.PNGScreen Shot 01-16-17 at 12.45 PM.PNGScreen Shot 01-16-17 at 12.48 PM.PNG

So just one more note. It is a "bear" to get the old line off the nipple and the new one on. Almost no room in there, and the hydraulic hoses are tight on top of it. What helped me was:
  • Completely remove the hood (easy)
  • Remove the air intake and move aside, BUT BE SURE to stuff a plastic bag with cloth inside to prevent anything from going down in (easy).
  • Remove the ziptie holding the 4 hydraulic hoses together; made them more flexible/moveable.
  • Make the new hose end easier to start on the nipple by pre-fitting it over a larger phillips screwdriver (being sure not to do too much, and compromise the integrity of the hose, or you'll have another leak).

I'll be ordering a replacement line, but wanted to get this fixed for now and stop the leak. Went to 5 places here in town and called two tractor supply places, and NONE of them had the right size hose; order it as a replacement part from Kioti dealer.

Hope this helps someone in the future.
-Mitch

Last edited:
   / Hydraulic Steering hose connections on CK20HST.. access??? #7  
Great information - Thanks