Hydraulic Tube Flaring

/ Hydraulic Tube Flaring #1  

gerlacr

Tractor
Yanmar 1500D
I have finished construction of my CADLoader and am ready for the hydraulic lines. I want to use hardlines to route the hydraulics down the boom and across to the opposite side. I will then use rubber flex hoses to couple to each cylinder. The problem is the quote I got from my local hydraulics shop to bend and fit the hardline tubing. At $65 per hour, labor alone was estimated at $500 minimum. The question now comes down to tools. I can find cutters and benders for 3/8" stainless for less than $65 so these two tools equate to one hour. Next comes the flaring. I want to flare to 37 degrees to use JIC fittings. I have seen good quality flaring tools for $275 and up. Are there cheap flaring tools that can handle the stainless and is this a reasonable project for a novice? What is a double flare?/forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

/ Hydraulic Tube Flaring #2  
You could go with a swagelock type fitting which does not require any tools other that two wrenches and a pipe cutter. Note: they come in many different ratings so one must be careful when picking them.

These are not the same type of compression fitting that may be used for barbaque propane lines or flexible copper tubing

Egon

/ Hydraulic Tube Flaring #3  
gerlacr,

Congrats on completing the cadloader construction! I would say the manual tools in the $275 range are the cheaper units. The ones I've worked with are hydraulic and cost a couple thousand. A double flare is for sealing. It is first flared out and then folded back upon itself providing twice the thickness of the tube wall for the flare joint.

Good luck,
Michael

/ Hydraulic Tube Flaring
I found Ridgid tools for the cutting, flaring and bending on ebay for about $120. Two were new and one was used. They worked great, the job is finished and none of the flares leak...so I'm happy. Thanks for help.

/ Hydraulic Tube Flaring #6  
gerlacr,

Please post some pictures of the completed project when you get a chance. I've used Ridgid tools for plumbing work and they are nice quality, sounds like you found quite a good deal.

Enjoy,
Michael

/ Hydraulic Tube Flaring #7  
Parker also makes several types of compression fittings. On a project at work I installed several dozen Parker Ferulok fittings on 3/4 and 1/2 inch stainless. I cut and bent tubing myself and worked ends. I have no leaks. Tubing contains 3500 psi CO2 (4500 psi before regulator). Once you install compression nut you have a choice of different connections including JIC, npt, tees, etc. Swagelok has the same choices. Just pick brand of closest supplier.

/ Hydraulic Tube Flaring #8  
It takes practice over time but ive seen a small ball peen hammer struck with another and made flares for JIC fittings and Fowlers welding and Diesel servie in Halltown Alabama. They work on what is to big for me to fix my self in the field. They take a torch and heat the tubing to a cherry color and got to work on it. they bought a machine to do a few but while they setting up the machin Mr. Fowler can have one maybe 2 cooling down. And they rarely have one to leak. Its cool to watch a group of folks that talented work al together.

/ Hydraulic Tube Flaring #9  
I'm curious where you found a source for the tubing.
Also have you found an economical means of bending such?

/ Hydraulic Tube Flaring #10  
plumb it with black iron pipe.you have 90's and 45's and everything screws together. It should be good for 2000 psi or more. I have iron pipe on my three point lift and I bumped the pressure way up near 3500 and never blew any pipe,blew some hoses though.