Backhoe Hydraulics only working when backhoe valves slightly open?

/ Hydraulics only working when backhoe valves slightly open? #1  

Tim Dawson

I installed a log splitter and hydraulic thumb in place of the backhoe bucket for some logging projects. When I operate the splitter or new hydraulic thumb they only operate when I have one of the other backhoe valves slightly open. I am not sure if this is a priority problem or possibly using a closed center control valve in an open center system. I am still not sure it is open centered per link and previous questions:

http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/hydraulics/160810-massey-ferg-2135-single-stage.html#post1844260

The splitter and claw work awesome but when pressure goes high the backhoe valve which is cracked slightly open then operates causing that cylinder to operate. It would be alright except it can be violent when a non splitting piece of wood is encountered and all of a sudden the other circuit (cracked open slightly) takes over quickly?

I have tried replumbing to a second out port and the control valve is tapped right into the inlet and outlet lines which feed and return to all the backhoe valves. Shown in picture with both inlet and outlets on same side of valve. The third picture show the loader valve which supplies hydraulics to the rear. There is an additional port on the bottom but it is not labeled? Any ideas?

Attachments

• Tractor 1.jpg
    Tractor 1.jpg
    274.7 KB · Views: 1,161
  • 0304101700-00.jpg
    0304101700-00.jpg
    165.8 KB · Views: 359
  • 0305101423-00.jpg
    0305101423-00.jpg
    216.2 KB · Views: 234
   / Hydraulics only working when backhoe valves slightly open? #2  
It appears to me the problem is that you Tee'd the pressure and return lines that feed the new valve. All valves MUST be placed in series or the pressure/flow will "follow the path of least resistance". You are able to use it by opening up the other valve because you are creating resistance in the line thereby generating pressure.

You also need to get rid of those cast water pipe fittings from Home Cheapot before one of the blows up on you...they are only rated for about 150 PSI.

/ Hydraulics only working when backhoe valves slightly open?
Thanks Kenny! So I should also tee the return line into the inlet or feed line side going to the backhoe valves. I did'nt know I could return on the inlet side of the backhoe valves, thinking it would not return and it might have been closed centered, but that definitley makes sense about the path of least resistance is taking over.

/ Hydraulics only working when backhoe valves slightly open? #4  
Thanks Kenny! So I should also tee the return line into the inlet or feed line side going to the backhoe valves. I did'nt know I could return on the inlet side of the backhoe valves, thinking it would not return and it might have been closed centered, but that definitley makes sense about the path of least resistance is taking over.

In your setup, NOTHING should be Tee'd.

OUT of the hoe valve to the IN of the new valve
OUT of the new valve back to the tractor.