Hydraulics over heating

/ Hydraulics over heating #1  

EddieWalker

Epic Contributor
Tractor
Several, all used and abused.
I kind of over did it yesterday putting out a fire that kind of got away from me. While cutting a burn line and dumping dirt on the fire I really pushed my tractor to the point my hydrolic fluid was starting to spurt out of the vent opening.

I didn't loose enough fluid to notice a difference in the level, but this had to be bad on the system.

What can I do to make sure everything is alright?

Tractor is a 1998 New Holland/Ford 555E Backhoe.

Fire is out!

/ Hydraulics over heating #2  
Without looking at your equipments hydraulic system, it is hard to give a solution to your dilemma. Your tractor should have a hydraulic oil cooler in front of the radiator. This can be simple coiled tubing or a separate radiator. If it is a radiator, make sure that the fins are not plugged up with weed seed, leaves or other foreign material. If this is not the problem you need to check to see if you have a bad circulating pump or a blocked oil passage. It is possible that the radiator is plugged and will need to be boiled out at a radiator shop. Check your hydraulic filters and replace if you have any doubt and be sure to clean your suction screen on the intake port. If you have an owners manual, it will tell you how to check the filters and screens. A real good investment would be a parts and repair manual for your machine. This can save you a lot of headaches! Good luck!

/ Hydraulics over heating #3  
Re: Hydrolics over heating

I forgot to mention to check your fan belt. If it is loose it is possible the fan is not putting enough air through the radiators to cool.