hydraulics...

/ hydraulics... #1  

JLemons

Tractor
Massey Ferguson 1533 and Farmall Super A
I have a 2005 MF 1533 that has 188 hrs on it. I bought it used a little over a month ago. It's a nice tractor...has a FEL and a 1575 backhoe. I detached the backhoe this weekend so I can hook up my bush hog. After setting up the linkage on my 3 pt hitch, I tried to raise and lower the 3 point but it wouldn't move either direction. Looking for any ideas to help solve my problem. Safe to say this is one reason to buy a set of manuals!! Thanks.

James

/ hydraulics... #2  
Welcome to TBN:D

After removing the hoe, did you connect the two hoses back together?

/ hydraulics...
Good point! No I didn't. There are 3 lines for the backhoe. There are 2 lines (one labled "B" and the other "R") that have quick disconnects next to each other. The 3rd line has a quick disconnect and the "male" end is connected to the tractor. Not sure what this line is used for. The other 2 connectors are on a small bracket. I may have to retrace the lines to determine which is the pressure line and which is the return line. I'll just go ahead and make the obvious point here.....yes, I'm a little new at this!

James

/ hydraulics... #4  
What you have is called a "Power Beyond" loop. There is the full flow of the hydraulic pump in them whenever the tractor is running. It is VERY important not to disrupt that flow, very bad and expensive things can happen.

Now, one of those fittings comes from the pump (or often the FEL valve) and is the feed. One of the other ones should go directly to the tank bypassing the 3PH so it's inoperative when the hoe is on, and finally the third one should go to the 3PH valve.

If you can post some pictures, we could help you better...

/ hydraulics...
What you are saying makes sense. I was thinking that the raise/lower function of the 3 pt was internal to the tractor. As it stands right now, it acts like it's not getting any pressure at all. Here's the picture I just took. I capped the 2 disconnects. The lower disconnect is labled "R" and the upper is labled "B" Hyd connections.jpg

/ hydraulics... #6  
Most likely the hose is the feed, and it NEEDS to be plugged in to one of those QD's.

Did the tractor sound like it was laboring at all? Hopefully you did not run the tractor a lot like this...

/ hydraulics...
Not for an extended period of time. Long enough to realized I had an issue. I'll connect it and let you know how things turn out.

/ hydraulics... #8  
Not for an extended period of time. Long enough to realized I had an issue. I'll connect it and let you know how things turn out.

Just making an uneducated guess. I'm thinking "R" for return to tank and "B" for power beyond. Try connecting the hose to the "B" port and let us know what happens.

Seem like logical thinking to you Kenny?

/ hydraulics...
Just connected that line to the "R" and now I have an adjustable 3 pt!! Thanks for the help! Tomorrow I'll try and get my bush hog connected....kind of late right now. I noticed when I connected the driveshaft to the gearbox, there is a pin that goes through the driveshaft and is supposed to slide through the spline gear. The driveshaft has the clutch installed. Seems like the splined portion wasn't machined just right because the pin doesn't slide all of the way through. The corner edges of the spline just barely show inside the hole where the pin is supposed pin go through. Any thoughts on this? Thanks again for the help.

/ hydraulics...
Just wanted to point out that I did try and connect the line to the "B" connection. After connecting it, the 3 pt did not move. Reconnected to the "R" and all is well. :thumbsup: