Hydro Not 4WD?

/ Hydro Not 4WD? #11  
There were a lot of old international 2wd hydro tractors. They are still used widely in vegetable farming. Also, if you want modern and mostly for cultivating veggies, check out Tuff-bilt tractors. They make them down south. I've only met one person who has one and they love it. It's like an Allis G but hydrostatic. I guess the guy hand delivers them too.

Those old IH hydro's are said to be pretty good. Look for real low hours or a rebuilt hydro, though.

/ Hydro Not 4WD?
There were a lot of old international 2wd hydro tractors. They are still used widely in vegetable farming. Also, if you want modern and mostly for cultivating veggies, check out Tuff-bilt tractors. They make them down south. I've only met one person who has one and they love it. It's like an Allis G but hydrostatic. I guess the guy hand delivers them too.

Those old IH hydro's are said to be pretty good. Look for real low hours or a rebuilt hydro, though.
Yes, the IH Hydros are nice, I believe they made some models up into the 1980's. Ranged from 50ish to ~100 HP. I think they fell out of favor because of fuel consumption and hydros would fail because of farmers not following proper maintenance with oil and filters. Anyway, all that kind of stuff like old MF's 35, 135, small Fords etc are very scarce in our area because of number of small vegetable farms. And most of the time when you find something it's plumb wore out with like 10,000 hours; I'm really not looking for a project tractor as I already have an MF35 that's in that kind of shape although I still use it. Even a Ford hundred series with a step-down auxiliary would be good, but like I said, hard to find a good one.

/ Hydro Not 4WD? #13  
What about a new holland 3040 cvt machine? I believe they are/have been available in 2wd, and the cvt provides similar control.

Last edited:
   / Hydro Not 4WD? #14  
Am I confused. Aren't all these HST tractors 2 wheel drive unless you put them in 4wd?

/ Hydro Not 4WD? #15  
Am I confused. Aren't all these HST tractors 2 wheel drive unless you put them in 4wd?

Yes, but he doesn't want to pay the extra money to purchase a 4WD capable tractor as he believes in his circumstance he does not need it. But he does want the infinityly variable speed and the ability to go extremely slow with a hydrostatic transmission. How slow can you go? Mine will go pretty slow. See below

Kioti hydrostatic transmission speed test - YouTube

/ Hydro Not 4WD? #16  
Just sounded like he was worried about the miss match in front tire size.

/ Hydro Not 4WD? #17  
Just saw this and thought of your post. Price is right but lacking hp.

KUBOTA 2WD DIESEL G4200 HST WITH SNOW BLADE - $1200 (PLYMOUTH, IN)
ゥ craigslist - Map data ゥ OpenStreetMap(google map) (yahoo map)
KUBOTA 12HP DIESEL 2CYL MODEL G4200 HST RUNS GOOD COMES WITH A SNOW BLADE 2 WHEEL DRIVE TRACTOR $1200

Isn't the G series Kubby just a garden tractor?

/ Hydro Not 4WD?
Yes, but he doesn't want to pay the extra money to purchase a 4WD capable tractor as he believes in his circumstance he does not need it. But he does want the infinityly variable speed and the ability to go extremely slow with a hydrostatic transmission. How slow can you go? Mine will go pretty slow. See below

Kioti hydrostatic transmission speed test - YouTube
Yes, it's mostly true that I don't want to spend extra for something that won't be needed most of the time, and could never be used if I changed the rear tire diameter. But just as important, I've noticed that on the 4WD versions in this horsepower range the front tread width is not adjustable, but on the 2WD it is.

If they offered something like a 2WD Kubota MX4700 with hydro it would fit what I'm looking for. Or I would even consider the 4wd if the front wheels were adjustable like on a full size utility 4WD. My neighbor actually picked up up a nice used 4WD L-series Kubota and built his own wheel spacers to get it out to 68" centers. He says so far it's working good in his vegetable rows.

/ Hydro Not 4WD? #19  
Whizbiz2, you are correct. I posted a reply with the info and then engaged the gray matter and realized the craigslist add was not what he was looking for and just a lawn/garden tractor. Thanks for being observant and setting me straight.