Hydro or Gear?

/ Hydro or Gear? #1  

ALB

Tractor
Ford 1210
Ok Folks i have an old Ford Hydro Subcompact but looking at upgrading to a new Kubota L2501. Just can't decide on the trans. What do you think? Leaning towards teh Hydro but I like to old style Gear also. Thanks!

/ Hydro or Gear? #2  
What will your primary application be? Even for consistent mowing, I like the hydro, but the gear will give your a little more power to the PTO. With 5 and 6 ft mowers, it doesn't take much to bog these down. But you can always slow down or take a smaller bite.

The 2501 was my first hydro tractor, and I love it for plowing snow, loader work and general chores. I wouldn't change a thing about it.

/ Hydro or Gear? #3  
HST will be easier to use for anyone,resale value will be higher with HST.We have one of each and I much prefer the HST;my son loves his gear tractor.

/ Hydro or Gear? #4  
Ok Folks i have an old Ford Hydro Subcompact but looking at upgrading to a new Kubota L2501. Just can't decide on the trans. What do you think? Leaning towards teh Hydro but I like to old style Gear also. Thanks!

Hydrostatic is wonderfully convenient and versatile but inefficient and some object to the whine.

Gear is quiet, efficient, and less expensive but less versatile and convenient.

If you decide on the gear transmission, be certain to investigate whether the 2501 offers live PTO with the gear transmission. Having had a hydrostat, you will NOT like any tractor without live PTO.

SDT

/ Hydro or Gear? #5  
With the HST you needn't find the best gear for mowing. You set the throttle to PTO speed and use the treadle foot control to adjust your ground speed. With a five foot mower behind my L2501 I mind medium range on the gear shift works best. The four wheel drive is a plus if you need it - I'd never had that before.

/ Hydro or Gear? #6  
Gear: Guts, Grunt, Ground .... One task, one direction, long time or distance. Plowing, discing, rotary cutting, planting, crop work. Where power is more important than maneuverability.

/ Hydro or Gear? #7  
FEL work is much easier with HST

/ Hydro or Gear? #8  
I have 4 tractors each with a different tranny. The hydro is the newest one and now my favorite followed by the shuttle. No way would i go gear if i was doing much loader work or mowing anything with trees to go around.

/ Hydro or Gear? #9  
If you decide on the gear transmission, be certain to investigate whether the 2501 offers live PTO with the gear transmission.

SDT
It does not. That would be a show stopper for me. An L2501 has many advantages but only in the hydro configuration IMHO.

/ Hydro or Gear? #10  
A HST eats up 15% of your HP. But it's way more maneuverable & so much easier to operate with precision. A good operator can make a gear work well but wont be as fast & will be worn out doing loader or precision work.

The 15% makes a big difference in a big field pulling a plow all day. But I find the increased flexibility & usability makes up for it & more in my mowing, loadering & dirt work stuff.