Hydro vs Gear Drive ??

/ Hydro vs Gear Drive ?? #11  
I've been driving a 4 speed crunch box tractor/fel for over 25 years, my next tractor, which arrives next week, is an HST.
There is Night and day difference between a 4 speed crunch box and the more modern Synchronized shuttles, glideshifts and power shifts with 8, 12 or more forward and reverse gears.
So much easier to use its not even comparable IMO.

/ Hydro vs Gear Drive ?? #12  
There is Night and day difference between a 4 speed crunch box and the more modern Synchronized shuttles, glideshifts and power shifts with 8, 12 or more forward and reverse gears.

Agreed and really narrows the gap in ease of use making the "right" choice even harder. Our M8540HDC 12/12 Hydraulic Shuttle Shift will pretty much match our L5740HSTC load for load doing FEL work or about anything else. It can be significantly more tiring on a long day, but for short ones not so much.

For a CUT, I still prefer an HST, but a good case can be made either way.

/ Hydro vs Gear Drive ?? #13  

You are so right. These HST vs gear threads aren't comparing a power shuttle because once you learn how to drive one you won't want an HST transmission. The only time I use my clutch is to start the thing. If you can operate a turn signal you can go forward to reverse till the cows come home without ever touching the clutch.

The HST is certainly NOT more intuitive for pulling logs uphill, most times you will need to let up on the pedal to get in the power band versus more pedal = more power of the power shuttle. And make sure when you go down that steep hill to get those logs to tow up you have it in FWD or you could be in for a VERY exciting ride! ( I had to have about 4" of the seat of my Kioti DK surgically removed from my behind after an exciting ride downhill!)

I can adjust the speed the shuttle engages between fast and slow so pushing into a pile with your bucket where you would let up on the pedal of an HST transmission, I drop it into neutral, start to curl the bucket and put it into reverse. Easy peasy and never touch the clutch.

Plus I don't have to listen to that whining. I hate whining!

With 40f and 20r speeds and electronic hi-lo I always have the correct ground speed vs engine RPM's to run any implement.

To be totally fair, very few smaller tractors have power shuttle, and none have the electronic hi/lo that a I'm aware of.

Good luck!

/ Hydro vs Gear Drive ?? #14  
You are so right. These HST vs gear threads aren't comparing a power shuttle because once you learn how to drive one you won't want an HST transmission. The only time I use my clutch is to start the thing. If you can operate a turn signal you can go forward to reverse till the cows come home without ever touching the clutch.

The HST is certainly NOT more intuitive for pulling logs uphill, most times you will need to let up on the pedal to get in the power band versus more pedal = more power of the power shuttle. And make sure when you go down that steep hill to get those logs to tow up you have it in FWD or you could be in for a VERY exciting ride! ( I had to have about 4" of the seat of my Kioti DK surgically removed from my behind after an exciting ride downhill!)

I can adjust the speed the shuttle engages between fast and slow so pushing into a pile with your bucket where you would let up on the pedal of an HST transmission, I drop it into neutral, start to curl the bucket and put it into reverse. Easy peasy and never touch the clutch.

Plus I don't have to listen to that whining. I hate whining!

With 40f and 20r speeds and electronic hi-lo I always have the correct ground speed vs engine RPM's to run any implement.

To be totally fair, very few smaller tractors have power shuttle, and none have the electronic hi/lo that a I'm aware of.

Good luck!

Power shuttles are great, but they still can't do all the exact same things that an HST setup can....most, but not all. Say you're building a retaining wall with railroad ties (bad idea, but just go with the concept). You pick up tie with your grapple, maneuver the tie into position, hold pressure against the wall uprights with the HST in low range, set the brake, jump down and secure it with big lag bolts. I don't see anybody doing that with a power shuttle. I also can't believe you could creep forward or backwards at 1/20th MPH or 1/50th MPH if you wanted to. My neighbor needed me to help hang the tailgate on his dump truck a while back....I hung it from my bucket teeth, raised it up, and crept forward while he stood to the side ready to slide the pins in. I was able to creep forward so slowly that getting the pins lined up was so easy it took only seconds per side. He said that normally takes him 10-15min to get everything lined up perfectly.

I don't dislike power shuttles at all, and the only tractor I own right now is a geared machine, but there are places and situations where nothing can replace an HST setup.

/ Hydro vs Gear Drive ?? #15  
I actually did something close to your retaining wall thing the other day. I grappled up several large cedar logs up against a sloping bank, just like you said, set the brakes, hopped off and drilled holes and pounded in rebar to hold them. You could have done it without a hydro, but it sure was a heck of a lot easier with one. If it is precision work, hydro's are the best. Hydro shuttle is great, and If I had a larger tractor, I am sure I would have one. But in these smaller CUTS its hydrostatic for me.

/ Hydro vs Gear Drive ?? #16  
Power shuttles are great, but they still can't do all the exact same things that an HST setup can....most, but not all. Say you're building a retaining wall with railroad ties (bad idea, but just go with the concept). You pick up tie with your grapple, maneuver the tie into position, hold pressure against the wall uprights with the HST in low range, set the brake, jump down and secure it with big lag bolts. I don't see anybody doing that with a power shuttle. I also can't believe you could creep forward or backwards at 1/20th MPH or 1/50th MPH if you wanted to. My neighbor needed me to help hang the tailgate on his dump truck a while back....I hung it from my bucket teeth, raised it up, and crept forward while he stood to the side ready to slide the pins in. I was able to creep forward so slowly that getting the pins lined up was so easy it took only seconds per side. He said that normally takes him 10-15min to get everything lined up perfectly.

I don't dislike power shuttles at all, and the only tractor I own right now is a geared machine, but there are places and situations where nothing can replace an HST setup.
I still don't agree.
In my lowest gear at full throttle it will only go 1 MPH.
At idle in low gear I can creep ahead 1 inch, 2 inch, 1/2". What ever I need.
I do believe I could set those same retaining walls with my gear machine.
You may not believe, but I do and I wouldn't hesitate to try it.

/ Hydro vs Gear Drive ?? #17  
I still don't agree.
In my lowest gear at full throttle it will only go 1 MPH.
At idle in low gear I can creep ahead 1 inch, 2 inch, 1/2". What ever I need.
I do believe I could set those same retaining walls with my gear machine.
You may not believe, but I do and I wouldn't hesitate to try it.

I don't doubt that you could for even a moment. But you are a skilled operator with a tractor that you are used to operating for a long time.
A guy that that just got his tractor last week likely couldn't however. But he could if he had a hydro.:)

/ Hydro vs Gear Drive ?? #18  
I don't doubt that you could for even a moment. But you are a skilled operator with a tractor that you are used to operating for a long time.
A guy that that just got his tractor last week likely couldn't however. But he could if he had a hydro.:)

Have to agree, a skilled operator can and does do everything with gears that a person can do with an HST. That's the great thing about HST, it is so forgiving that it makes the average operator look like a skilled one. :cool:

/ Hydro vs Gear Drive ?? #19  

Especially if he is using r4 tires instead of r1s.:stirthepot:

/ Hydro vs Gear Drive ?? #20  
If we didn't have tractor transmissions to discuss, we wouldn't have anything to talk about.

That said, there is a place and duty for each type. Also an excuse to have more than one tractor.

Last edited: