Hydro vs SS for 45 HP Compact Tractor

/ Hydro vs SS for 45 HP Compact Tractor #1  

4tillingdirt

Silver Member
Tractor
N/A
Hoping to hear input from owners who have owned both. I had a dealer tell me that if he were buying one to mow or do rotary cutting he would get a hydro but for everything else he prefers the SS.

Thanks

/ Hydro vs SS for 45 HP Compact Tractor #2  
What is SS?

Are you considering a second tractor?

/ Hydro vs SS for 45 HP Compact Tractor #3  
SS-standard shift;I would presume.I have owned two HST tractors and much prefer them over gear shift.My son has a straight gear shift and likes it.HST is much better for the inexperienced and FEL,roto-tilling ect.

/ Hydro vs SS for 45 HP Compact Tractor #4  
People who have never been on a tractor before; people with a lot of FEL shuttle work be it cleaning out poop or moving feed, hay, piles of gravel, or mowing around a lot of obstructions I'd say the hydro is perfect. For everything else I like my shuttle and SS.

I heard a guy on another forum say that he can't stand the HST whine. Might be something to consider. I have a shuttle SS and hydro steering and have whine at the PTO rpms too, must be the hydro steering like is common these days. I have HST lawn mowers and the only one where I can hear the pumps is on the 26 hp 5' Ferris, but it is an industrial rated IS700Z

/ Hydro vs SS for 45 HP Compact Tractor
What is SS?

Are you considering a second tractor?

Shuttle shift - where you just have to use clutch to move lever forward and reverse.

/ Hydro vs SS for 45 HP Compact Tractor #6  
Lots of going back and forth the hydro is sure nice and easy to use.

Long rows such as mowing and the shuttle style will put a few more hp to the blades.

Why one would want a gear only style now a days except for large field work is beyond me :)

/ Hydro vs SS for 45 HP Compact Tractor #7  
Lots of going back and forth the hydro is sure nice and easy to use.

Long rows such as mowing and the shuttle style will put a few more hp to the blades.

Why one would want a gear only style now a days except for large field work is beyond me :)

I agree with that, Okie. Back when all tractors were manually-shifted gear box machines I can remember how impressed I was with the powershifting shuttle shifts. In fact I was so impressed that it's embarrassing now to look back and see how long it took me to make the next move - up to HST.
The thing I like most about HST is how it gives a person the ability to work delicately with the FEL. With HST I can work right up to the edges and corners of things with as much power as I need and still have fine control that a shuttle shift, power shift, or geared machine just can't match.
Even better is HST with multiple ranges and fingertip hi/low.

And even as we debate this, there's probably some company out there getting ready to introduce the next new transmission improvement. Maybe something with all trac and traction control.
rScotty

/ Hydro vs SS for 45 HP Compact Tractor #8  
Shuttle shift - where you just have to use clutch to move lever forward and reverse.

Not sure about other brands but my Kubota GST has a hydraulic clutch shuttle shift and you never touch the foot clutch to do any shifting. The FST and GST Kubota transmissions are fully synchronized so you do all shifting while on the move.

David

/ Hydro vs SS for 45 HP Compact Tractor #9  
Hoping to hear input from owners who have owned both. I had a dealer tell me that if he were buying one to mow or do rotary cutting he would get a hydro but for everything else he prefers the SS.

Thanks
Owned both prefer the hydro older I get.Not to mention the cab tractor is the cats A--

Attachments

• 008.jpg
    008.jpg
    1,015 KB · Views: 114
  • 217.jpg
    217.jpg
    702.2 KB · Views: 115
   / Hydro vs SS for 45 HP Compact Tractor #10  
Hydro is hands down the best in that size tractor. Yes the whine can be annoying but how easy mowing smaller places and doing loader work more than make up for it.

Brett