HYDROGEN ENGINE???

/ HYDROGEN ENGINE??? #11  
Not so fast. Hydrogen storage is a major problem requiring tanks containing 5000+ psi to hold enough to have any kind of decent range. Filling stations won't allow drunk, ignorant, and careless owners to operate the dangerous connections required, so tank swapping is required. Oil used to lubricate any of these engines will burn in small amounts at each cycle, and that small quantity nowdays will require downstream processing via catalytic converters (please don't call it a cadillac converter, that is so ridiculous). Plus oxides of nitrogen 'pollution' is also produced by the high flame temperatures, so we're back to EGR feedback to kill the efficiency. The government has not banned nitrogen in our air, (yet).
On the good side, any tank rupture resulting in a fire will see flames going straight up because it's so much lighter than air. That's important for EMS & fire teams. Crashes are still unavoidable.

Carbon atoms are the core element of the highest density fuels because they store so much energy in their covalent bonds. Ever wonder why people are essentially carbon based ? Nature lalways selects the easiest, simplest, and most efficient systems. Silicone based people are kinda rare in the universe unless the air temperature is like that of Jupiter's moons.
I still think the bigger problem is where do you get the hydrogen from to fill your tanks to operate your vehicles. There is no free lunch.

/ HYDROGEN ENGINE??? #12  
BTW: When I worked for GM Engineering, we had a hydrogen powered vehicle project joint venture with Honda and Cornell University.
Me too, I was at the proving grounds in Milford from 1998 through 2008 in the diesel and premium V8 engine group (building 3). I was shared among other groups and I remember when they built the hydrogen fueling station down by the tracks. I heard through the "grapevine" the program was shelved because of the worries over storing hydrogen on board vehicles and concerns with training first responders.

The EV group borrowed me for a while and after on-and-off sessions with them for around three years, the EV program was shelved because of the lack of ability to store any meaningful amount of energy. I think that is still a major hurdle today, particularly in cold climates.

It comes down to practicability and using hydrogen is not practical in a moving object that can get involved in an accident.

/ HYDROGEN ENGINE??? #13  
I still think the bigger problem is where do you get the hydrogen from to fill your tanks to operate your vehicles. There is no free lunch.
A lot of hydrogen is generated by many industrial processes. Most is flared off due to cost to capture and store and much is used in compounds created by/for other processes. Manufacture of chlorine comes to mind having worked in those plants that use salt brine as a feed stock. The hydrogen flares went 4'+ into the air. Us old industrial pipefitters saw a lot of hydrogen wasted this way. the combustion air generated nitrous oxide from the burning flame, another greenhouse gas. All about cost, $$$.

Ron

/ HYDROGEN ENGINE??? #14  
   / HYDROGEN ENGINE??? #15  
Me too, I was at the proving grounds in Milford from 1998 through 2008 in the diesel and premium V8 engine group (building 3). I was shared among other groups and I remember when they built the hydrogen fueling station down by the tracks. I heard through the "grapevine" the program was shelved because of the worries over storing hydrogen on board vehicles and concerns with training first responders.

The EV group borrowed me for a while and after on-and-off sessions with them for around three years, the EV program was shelved because of the lack of ability to store any meaningful amount of energy. I think that is still a major hurdle today, particularly in cold climates.

It comes down to practicability and using hydrogen is not practical in a moving object that can get involved in an accident.
WOW, small world. I was in #24 (N&V), #7 (Vehicle Dynamics), then on to #104 (Vehicle Dynamics & Noise Lab). Left in 2008 after 40 years.

/ HYDROGEN ENGINE??? #16  
Yup, most of the complaints about Hydrogen fuels come from those associated with American nameplate automakers. The spin is hilarious. Hydrogen at least has a chance at being a long term solution. Unless we ramp up electricity production first, EV will effectively implode as the PC alternatives cannot produce enough power.

Personally, I am a fan of use it all, coal, oil, LP, Natural Gas, Nuclear, Wind, Water, Solar, Bio, whatever. We all lose when bureaucrats try to decide what is best.

/ HYDROGEN ENGINE??? #17  
There's a gas station not far from my office that put in tanks and a hydrogen dispensing pump a few years ago. The pump looks a lot like gas pumps though the nozzle is of course different. When gassing up there I sometimes see Mirai drivers pull in to refuel. One woman was trying to use the gas nozzle and could not figure it out. Maybe she borrowed the car. This station does allow drivers to refuel their hydrogen cars.

/ HYDROGEN ENGINE??? #18  
Costs about $25 to fill my 1626 with diesel from E mark. I get hours and hours of highly productive and impressive work in return for my $25. I honestly think it's a hell of a bargain.