Snow Hydrostatic and Compact Plus / Minus

/ Hydrostatic and Compact Plus / Minus #1  

CDN24

Tractor
NH TZ25DA
Mine is a NH TZ25DA, 3cyl diesel 25 HP engine, 18 HP at the PTO. Reverse in High is practically useless powerwise, I can't back it up my trailer ramp in High. In Reverse Low it's "boil me an egg' slow. I'm looking to get a snow blower attachment for it; the front mount ones so far are costing at $8500.00 ... mounting kit etc, and the rear PTO one is around $2500.00; + tx. Besides a stiff neck after 2hrs of snow work I'm afraid the rear mount at 350lbs will stop the tractor dead in it's tracks facing a good grade and 5" of wet snow. If anyone has experience with blowers on these small units I'd like an opinion. Tx.

/ Hydrostatic and Compact Plus / Minus #2  
On my TC, I adjusted the speed for reverse by screwing the stop nut further in. It did help quite a bit. Worth a try anyway.

/ Hydrostatic and Compact Plus / Minus #3  
Do you have snow chains?

/ Hydrostatic and Compact Plus / Minus #4  
Can you drive up slopes going forward in high that you can't back up? If yes then possibly the reverse relief valve in the HST is set to low. It should have similar torque going both directions.

/ Hydrostatic and Compact Plus / Minus #5  
I agree with oldnslo, check the relief valve settings.

One of the few small tractors I tried before buying my x749 mower was a TX24DA or TZ25DA not sure which one. I found I preferred the single range in the Deere for most mowing and raking chores. I felt the two range choices were mismatched for most uses. Otherwise it was a nice machine IIRC.

/ Hydrostatic and Compact Plus / Minus
Hi motownbrowne, top nut eh, my TC is smaller but hmm top nut I'll check that out for sure, thanks. Oh, firewood eh, what kind of splitter do you use? I seen some videos of screw splitters off of the PTO and it looked like the best kept secret. And maple syrup too; way out of my league, ...... good on you.

Hi jeff9366 Snow chains; have 'em never installed 'em, no regrets yet; agricultural tires and loaded. I do some spinning; no denying that; maybe next year; I bought the cheaper option of the 2 available to me, not inspiring to look at and then there this phobea I have of them busting off and flailing like 'Wild Thing'... my fel bailed me out many times.

Hi oldnslo, I haven't done a direct comparison but I will do that. But I think I'm safe to say quite a difference in the two. You guys put me onto something here; I've been putting up with this for years, mentioned it to the dealer serviceman and the reply was basically ... safety issues. I interpreted this as being little tractors like this in the hands of ? 'unacustomed' could be dangerous especially in reverse so they make them that way. An adjustment was never mentioned and that's what I was looking for then. I'm on the hunt now.

/ Hydrostatic and Compact Plus / Minus #9  
CDN24,
Possible the reverse was set lower for safety concerns. I know frequently the reverse speed is slower than forward. Also not familiar with your transmission so I don't have a clue on where these valves are or how they are adjusted. Most of these smaller HST use shims.

good luck and please let us know if you find a solution.

I spoke to the dealer the mechanic actually and he's used the same machine. This tractor should be as strong in reverse as in forward and if it's that slow there may be obstruction keeping the pedal from bottoming out; that pretty much matches your stop nut comment. That's on my to do list; the price is right. The good news is this tractor can handle a 54" rear mount snow blower.