Hydrostatic drive...Does direction matter?

/ Hydrostatic drive...Does direction matter? #11  

SPIKER most likely has it though, various gears and more so the teeth on them. i would imagine you would have more forward umph and less tear and wear driving forward vs reverse.
i suppose backing up hill in reverse, i have had to do that a few times.

heck i really can't think of anything were i might jamb something while in reverse and give everything a good sake down. vs what i have done in forward motion.
===============
going in reverse more fragile? thinking about maybe more than i would have thought?

I think you ARE CORRECT that REVERSE gearing IS NOT as strong as in drive. The Helical Cut type gearing can actually push itself out of gear on gear drive tractors as you load up the system. I often have issues with my gear drive tractor for that reason backing up under load pops it out of gear. The worst was when I was DRIVING FORWARD with my trailer and 6 or 7Klbs of logs on back down the road to neighbors sawmill. 15% or better grade and the trailer weight pushed my creeper gearbox OUT of gear because of the overriding push of the trailer & I was using engine braking... :eek: Needless to say the brakes were useless had to slam the FEL into the road AND drop the back blade/trailer onto the road surface. It was FRESH tar/chip that week. On way back I re-flattened the speed-bump I created :embarrassed: but at least the rippers were all up :thumbsup: ;) :D

And then you have something like my Power Trac, where every wheel has its own hydraulic motor, and one variable volume pump powers all of them, so no gears. It goes 8mph forward or reverse. But that's not a very common setup among "real" tractors. :laughing:

yep those are nice, same with the Ventrac and Steiner yard/garden type mowers/tractors. Really nice machines but LOTS of $$$$...

Mark

/ Hydrostatic drive...Does direction matter? #12  
yep those are nice, same with the Ventrac and Steiner yard/garden type mowers/tractors. Really nice machines but LOTS of $$$$...
Mark
Our Power Trac was very reasonably priced for what we got. The Ventracs and Steiners have much better fit and finish, and are quite a bit more expensive than the PT. Kind of limited in what they will do for our needs. So we went with the PT.