hydrostatic trans run dry

/ hydrostatic trans run dry #11  
If you quit soon enough when you noticed it, filling it up with oil might turn out ok. Didn't do it any favors, but might work okyet.

Sounds like you weren't interested in quiting and investigating until it was all used up tho.... Stuff happens. We get to pay to learn. Ran a 140hp ag tractor out of hyd oil, hose tore under the cab, light came on, I drove to the edge of the field as rain was coming in 10 minutes....

Paid $4000 to fix up that short drive - hi-lo bearing seazed.

--->Paul
A wet rolling element bearing should have handled that easily. Your oil was critical long before you knew it.
larry

/ hydrostatic trans run dry
I filled the transmission with 5the gallons of hydraulic fluid and bled the system twice. When I start it and step on the petal nothing happens until about 5 minutes of holding the petal down. Then a loud clicking noise starts and it slowly starts moving. After 10minutes it starts rolling pretty good until I put a load on it, then it stops moving again. Takes another 5 minutes of stepping on the petal to repeat the clicking noise and inching forward, etc.
Thanks for your inputs guys.

/ hydrostatic trans run dry #13  
Sorry to hear that.

/ hydrostatic trans run dry #14  
I filled the transmission with 5the gallons of hydraulic fluid and bled the system twice. When I start it and step on the petal nothing happens until about 5 minutes of holding the petal down. Then a loud clicking noise starts and it slowly starts moving. After 10minutes it starts rolling pretty good until I put a load on it, then it stops moving again. Takes another 5 minutes of stepping on the petal to repeat the clicking noise and inching forward, etc.
Thanks for your inputs guys.

Are you going to tackle the repair yourself?

I am thinking I may repair it myself. I just have to get an idea of how this hydrostactic transmission works so I know how to dianosis it.

/ hydrostatic trans run dry #16  
I am thinking I may repair it myself. I just have to get an idea of how this hydrostactic transmission works so I know how to dianosis it.

You may want to get a service manual, or do you have one?

Agcopubs.com and you can either order the print version, or the cd.

I got the repair manual and wasn't that impressed with its clarity. Hopefully it all make sense when I start tearing it down.

/ hydrostatic trans run dry #18  
If you ran it dry I would suggest replacing the whole assembly - and you might contact your insurance company - they might cover the damage and repair less the deductable.